SunTrust changes their T&Cs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by FranklyMe, Dec 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    The SunTrust Debit card pays 1 Delta mile per dollar spent. Today I received their revised Terms & Conditions which, in part, state that they will no longer award miles on various transactions including "payments for stored-value cards". Looks like loading a Bluebird will not gain any miles - so that makes the card almost useless. It is not clear if you still earn miles for paying estimated income taxes ...

adrianors likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I do not see any change in the T&C that would effect earning miles for tax payments. That's my primary use for the card.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but now the $75 fee looks too high.

adrianors likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It depends on how much the government extracts from you. :p

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt ST has the technology to track purchase types. While a violation of their card agreement (and they have clawed back miles from a few)...keep it to a reasonable level, and you should be fine.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tough for the card not to be a value these days! ;)

7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that's the only thing you use the card for, then yeah, it may be useless for you. But there are people who prefer using debit to credit (for whatever reason), or people with bad credit who can't get mile/point earning credit cards. And when DL & SunTrust came up with the SkyMiles debit card, I'm pretty sure that's how they intended it to be used, not by people manufacturing spending with Bluebird or Vanilla Reload or whichever prepaid card you prefer.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I got my letter in the mail a few days ago... it took me a while to figure out what they were changing, I was originally relieved that they weren't just killing it off as BofA is doing with Alaska (and did with US).

Oh well, there's still some value in it, but not as much... so one less card in the wallet. :)

It sucks even though it's expected... I'm not one to want to leave a single mile on the table and getting rid of any card that would earn me any single mile for anything is a loss. Oh well, on to the next one... :)

LETTERBOY likes this.