Summing up the difference between MP and FT

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by eponymous_coward, Oct 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    New threads in the AS forum on FT in the past week: 20

We're not exactly talking about a minor, inconsequential airline program, either- AS Mileage Plan is arguably a good jack-of-all-trades programs for people who want to Kayak or accrue across different partners (access to AS/DL/AA/EK/KL/AF/LA for EQM, and BA/CX/KE for RDM) without stranding their miles, lots of redemption options.

I like you, MP, but it's pretty clear where the useful, living content is... unless you're really interested in counting down from a number, chatting about a lot of unrelated stuff, or diving into the überthreads like Teh Box.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I made a similar point recently here:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...milepoint-and-mr-petersen.72371/#post-2179965

Even posted similar stats.

I have no time for chat threads or interest in (sorry... silly) games, and so that has no value for me.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    tondoleo likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it all depends on where you're based out of though... AS might be a great program to credit across the board, but for some people it's a non-starter.

It "sort of" works for me if I'm just looking at NYC-LAX flights or similar, but trips to LAS for example are a mess (EWR-SEA-PDX-LAS at twice the price of the nearest competitor) and down to Miami it's even worse. I suspect that we have a lot of people that favor AA / DL directly simply because it's a better option for them, compared to the folks over at FT.

I think there are a lot of messy threads here, but obviously quite a few threads of interest. It just seems like the distribution of MP users is not such that it favors AS well.

LETTERBOY and eponymous_coward like this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe so. Was the FT forum for AS this moribund several years into it, though? (And it no doubt is... the FT version has multiple employees posting regularly in it, has for years and years.)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yet the activity we see in non-AS forums here, when compared to their FT counterparts, seems equally limited. The AA forum has had four new threads since Saturday. The Delta forum has had ONE new thread since Thursday of last week.

eponymous_coward and iolaire like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use FT a lot to get information. But when I have a question it generally feels safer over here, and it feels like I’m more likely to get a response here.

vickers, FetePerfection and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the FT mobile app was better I'd be there all the time. But I don't desktop much and I hate FT native mobile app (and lack of mobile website). MP tools are 10x better but agree that activity is lacking. But then again a lot of FT activity (the majority) is complaining. Maybe MP quietness is due to SMD5 the last few days? Tho even that was super quiet on MP last week?

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely.

Depends on the airline/hotel you're asking about. VS or M&M, I've had better luck on TOBB. But for US-based carriers, there's a better chance.

9. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Want to make it a challenge to try and make the AS forum here more active? I am all game :)

eponymous_coward likes this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are number of threads/posts in a certain sub-forum a measure of good content ? In the years that that I started losing interest TOBB, it was precisely the flyby LonelyPlanet type questions, sometimes I felt like being in Bill Murray's Groundhog Day - Same questions over and over !

My other premonition is that MP has a higher degree content-clue-per-word basis :) of should we call it clue-density per word ?

viguera likes this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So, do you think almost NO new content on a board is a measure of good content? Lots has happened in the AS world in the past few weeks... next to none of it gets coverage here. Also, the AS forum on FT is arguably one of the "nicer" forums, compared to the snarling I've seen in other FT forums (* cough*UA*cough*).

anileze likes this.
  12. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not say that, did I ? ;) Apart from a few dedicated individuals, no one can track or keep up with a forum of large number of participants. So, subforums, and sub sections gain prominence, and eventually a cult following - It is evident in TOBB, and other travel related sites like TT, BootsnAll etc. It is within that context, I wonder if quantity of threads are always a right measure. Fewer threads with better SnN than Many threads with too much noise ? I'd go with the former.

As to the AS forum ...maybe the AS members in MP are not too excited - Dunno ;)

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would argue that the AS forum on FT has a pretty high S/N ratio, as do a lot of the forums there. MP lacks that breadth. It may be less snarky, but I certainly find it less useful for the travel I participate in.

Also- do you think counting down from a number is signal?

14. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, how nice to see a conversation! I really liked MP when it first started, but the AS forum postings seemed to be limited to pass along types (clips from various news accounts) so I just stopped dropping by often. Looks like I will be stopping by regularly now again :)

Golfingboy likes this.