Summerfield Suites to be remodeled, renamed "Hyatt House"

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Morgan, Sep 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tomorrow's Wall Street Journal is reporting that all Summerfield Suites and Sierra Hotels will be remodeled and renamed Hyatt House.

The Hyatt press release is here.

Fair-use snippet:

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they actually upgrade the suites, they could be competitive. While I enjoyed the time I was able to visit a Summerfield Suites, I found it lacking as a true extended stay hotel because of the weak kitchen. Even Home2Suites had a better kitchen than the CLT Summerfield

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  3. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I probably put in 60-70 percent of my paid nights at either Hyatt Place or Aloft, and Hyatt is definitely behind Starwood when it comes to gathering places and workout facilities at their low-end offerings. Hyatt Place bars are sad; Aloft bars are actually pretty cool, and you can hang out and play pool whether you drink or not. And Hyatt Place workout rooms are pitiful, whereas those at Aloft are quite nice. So Hyatt working on upgrading their hotels below the mainline Hyatt level is a good thing. I'm going to try out Sierra soon and we'll see how it goes.

uggboy and Kaanapali like this.
  4. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Place bars.....at least in NJ....are not allowed to turn the volume up on their TV pursuant to "corporate policy". :rolleyes: So while getting a complimentary glass of wine or beer as a Diamond at a Hyatt Place is indeed a nice benefit; it totally loses some of its enjoyment when, while sitting at the bar (agree Aloft's bars are better), you can SEE a college football game, but you cannot listen to it. :mad:

seaflyguy and uggboy like this.
  5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both (granted its only 2) of the Summerfiled Suites I've stayed at in Denver and Charlotte were both excellent properties. Both had full kitchens in rooms with dinner and breakfast being offered in the hotel lobby. And as with most Hyatt properties, the staffs are excellent at both these properties. This sounds like a positive development to me and should add continuity to the brand by incoroprating the Hyatt name.

Kaanapali and uggboy like this.
  6. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I welcome the name change. There were too many "s's" to be pronounced in "Summerfield Suites" :D

7. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one who thought of Animal House on hearing the name? :)

Nightly Toga parties for Diamonds!

FriendlySkies and MSPeconomist like this.
  8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quasi: On their Facebook feedback, somebody else was reminded not of "Animal House" but of "Halfway House!" And some of us actually are old enough to remember the actual name "Hyatt House" from the 1950s in California.

Travelsavant and Quasiconvexity like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Hyatt needs yet more brands, they could think about Hyatt Apartment, Hyatt Studio, Hyatt Condo, Hyatt Shack, Hyatt Cabin, Hyatt Tent (they already have Camp Hyatt), Hyatt RV, Hyatt Hovel, Hyatt Cave, Hyatt Couch (my apologies to couchsurfers), Hyatt Floor, Hyatt Sleeping Bag.....the possibilities are endless.

Kaanapali and Jimgotkp like this.
  10. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ok - so how does Andaz fit into the "grand scheme of things"?

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  11. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Andaz to be renamed Riot House*

*partly because of the Diamonds who regularly put up a fit at the Andaz 5th owing to poor treatment

FriendlySkies and peteropny like this.
  12. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    ROFL!!! Maybe Hyatt Hip? :D

13. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the changes! Plans & modern decor looks very appealing & in keeping with the Hyatt brand. Looking forward to staying at the newly redesigned suites.

flyingdawg likes this.
  14. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.weimax.com/our_town-2.htm scroll on through for pictures of the SFO/Burlingame, Old Bayshore Hyatt House when it was new!

15. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, travelsavant. I grew up in the Pasadena area and am certain Hyatt also had a place fairly far east on the south side of Colorado Boulevard there, in the same era. I am 75% sure it was called "Hyatt House," but I spent too much time Googling today and couldn't find boo. Glad you found the pix of the Burlingame version (which appears a lot larger than I remember Pasadena's being).

16. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The possibilities are endless indeed... ;)

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Andaz could be Hyatt Hotness or Hyatt Party but HH and HP are already taken (Party Hyatt doesn't work either because Park Hyatt is already PH), so maybe Hyatt Scene or Hyatt Trendy; Hyatt Spoiled Youth is too long, we need two words only, one of which is Hyatt.

18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, what about a simple "Hyatt Andaz?" Doesn't sound too notable at first, but then remember the two-letter abbreviation would become "HA."

MSPeconomist likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or Andaz Hyatt, abbreviated AH, with the H last as in Park Hyatt, PH, to designate upscale-ness rather than to be confused with the computer brand HP.

20. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never used that brand anyway, but for those who do -- remembering the inevitable two-letter codes that follow -- just be absolutely sure NOT to call it "Hyatt Ornate." Totally inappropriate!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:Really? I would think it might be descriptive of the action around a city hotel of this sort.:D

22. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    1)Soon to be a staple at the new Hyatt Bar? ;)
    2) and 3) To redefine the low end of the Hyatt Chain (Diamonds get moved from the Floor to the SB) ;)

23. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I hope that upgrades do not lead to pricing which make subject properties out of reach for pure matress runs.

But in all seriousness, this may be needed. I have a room at the Herndon, Virginia, Summerfield Suites my bathtub is just appalling. It IS clean, and there is no concern over sanitary conditions, but the tub is terribly chipped - something which I would make a priority to reglaze were it in my home. After seeing it, I noted that the entire bathroom is terribly tired, and with my interest in general month to month upkeep piqued, I've been noticing things I would otherwise overlook - gashes in elevator millwork, stains in hallway carpeting, etc.

Amazing how when a guest identifies one problem, that guest becomes sensitive to others which would have otherwise gone overlooked.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The year was 1957 when Jay Pritzker bought a Los Angeles airport hotel from Dutch businessman Hyatt von Dehn, famously using a nearby napkin as the official contract. What became known as Hyatt House-Los Angeles, Hyatt's very first hotel, was the start of something big and by 1960, there were Hyatt Houses near airports in Seattle, San Francisco and the San Fernando Valley. Described as "the world's first fly-in hotels," the hotels quickly expanded throughout California to eight properties, which soon included Hyatt Lodges and Hyatt Chalets. Waving goodbye to the West coast, the first Hyatt House came to the Midwest, opening in Lincolnwood, Ill.
    http://blog.hyatt.com/hyattblog/2010/08/it_all_started_with.html

One of the first ones was Rickey's Hyatt House in Palo Alto, that the Pritzkers bought in 1962. It was a garden-filled place that was an extended stay hotel also. I stayed there in 1981 from several months while looking for a home when I came to the US to join Stanford Research Institute. It was a local highlight then, but has now been destroyed to build condomiums or something. It was more a motel than a hotel.

Thus the Hyatt House name, the original one, new returns. It is fitting!

FriendlySkies likes this.