Suite upgrade without DSU on P&C booking?!

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by mangoMan, Jan 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. mangoMan

mangoMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently called to see about upgrading an existing reservation to a suite using points. The agent suggested a Points & Cash booking, in a suite, for only 6K pts + $75 per night. I took it, but am now wondering how this happened. I am only Platinum and have no DSUs in my account, yet it appears that the reservation is a P&C booking with a DSU upgrade applied. The confirmation email states: "HYATT GOLD PASSPORT POINTS PLUS CASH AWARD COMBINED W/ TIER BENEFIT SUITE UPGRADE AWARD".

The points have already been deducted from the account. The conf. email clearly shows a suite. The "rate rules" on the reservation in my online account also show a suite. Am I just lucky, or are DSUs typically deducted at checkin, and can I expect trouble then?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is generally not a good idea to look a gift horse in the mouth...;)

Thomask, blackjack-21 and viguera like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally the number of DSUs that show as available in my account is reduced when I apply a DSU to a reservation, not at check in or check out.

You can use DSUs on P&C bookings but not on free nights or stays paid with points. AFAIK you cannot use points to upgrade a P&C booking or indeed most discounted rates, including AAA, AARP, government, etc.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everything you said is spot on. The odd thing about the OP's situation is that s/he booked a P&C stay and then got upgraded to a suite with a DSU that s/he did not have, being a GP Platinum...

5. mangoMan

mangoMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically, I had a regular room reservation that I was going to upgrade using points. The phone agent then said a "suite was available via P&C" and that it would be a better deal (which it certainly was), so that is what I took, naturally :).

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, now you'll be holding your breath until checkout to see that you do receive the suite and aren't charged the rack rate for it.

Thomask likes this.
  7. angusho

angusho New Member

Status Points:
    Can you apply dsu to reward booking

8. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the rules, DSUs can not be applied to reward bookings, just revenue and pts + cash reservations. Of course, a property might decide to give an upgraded room!:)

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This is kind of like a black swan. I have heard of very limited instances where it happens. But, the rules state just for revenue and P&C.

10. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked my last DSU from 2014.
    For a stay in November 2015.

I really love that these things don't need to get spent during the calendar year that they're awarded. I ended up using only one of my 2014 DSUs in 2014. So, I've now booked all three of the remaining ones on stays in 2015. Very nice.

IDGflygirl likes this.