Suite Nights - Not sure how they work....?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by mdtravel, Jul 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

I was lucky enough to hit the nights in 2011 to get the suite nights. I've been saving them, hoping that I could actually use them on a vacation...and hopefully I can. My wife and I are headed to Venice for 2 nights and Rome for five. I have reservations at the Danieli in Venice and the Westin Excelsior in Rome.

When I made the reservations for Venice, I was offered the chance to try to get some upgrades; I opted for that. Same for Rome.

When I look at my reservation for Venice, I see this:
    We’re unable to send a confirmation for this stay. Please contact us for details.
    We have found your reservation. It is not possible to display this particular reservation online. This is usually due to an unusual or complex rate or set of rates associated with the reservation in question. For questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Customer Contact Center nearest you.

When I look at Rome, I see this:
    You have 5 Suite Night Award(s) pending for this stay.

I'm not sure why I can't see any details on Venice, but can for Rome.

Also, when I made my Venice reservations, I think they told me there were multiple types of rooms. Why is that? Why isn't it just an upgrade to a suite or the best available room when the upgrade clears?

Am I correct when I state that the room upgrades won't clear until 5 days before checkin at the earliest?

I'm not sure how all of this stuff works.
    marcwint55 likes this.
  2. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Some hotels don't have suites, they have other room types that they consider upgrades. Some hotels give you the option to select more than one upgrade type to help improve your chances of getting an upgrade. Here's the fine text. Maybe the Danieli doesn't offer upgrades to suites at that property? Here's the fine print on the suite night awards:

*Subject to availability at check-in for the length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations are booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

It sounds like you already have the upgrade in Rome. I would call SPG platinum customer service and confirm that. The other comment you are seeing is usually for a prepaid room at a discounted price. I have the same issue with rooms that I have booked in September in Tokyo at the Disney Sheraton.