Suggestions: SIN_LAX_SIN Dec Trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by White_Cloud, Sep 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Have to do a SIN-LAX-SIN trip just 1 to 2 days after Christmas to visit someone.

Just wondering what recommendations expert MilePointers might have for this trip?

Preferably, *A flights since I've just received *G and hope to maximise it's use *even if it's to flash it once* :p Took the TG Premium Y the last time round and totally enjoyed it, but rates are up to $4k now. Since its on a personal account, cost is also an important factor. Also hoping to fly out of LAX on the return leg anytime after 6pm.

Qns:
    a) Should I be hard up on *A flights or even consider SkyTeam or OneWorld (noting that I hardly fly with any of them)
    b) Is SIA really the best option (considering Y seats are extremely uncomfortable, but service amazing). Any plus points for opting for SQ as KF Gold?
    c) Should I even consider Eva Premium Y or Philippines J class as options?

Just a whole bunch of that!

Thanks!

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there isn't a big price difference, I'd look at the schedule. Arriving into SIN at 1:30 am can make it hard to function the next day. Similarly, leaving at 6 am isn't fun either. Note that these schedules can greatly increase the cost of travel to/from the airport in Singapore. The subway closes and taxis impose hefty surcharges.

It sounds like some of the carriers you're considering are trying to charge a full Y fare (or something pretty close) for your two-day trip. Would it be cheaper if you could be away over a Saturday night? Alternatively, if you must pay these prices, can you get E+ or will you get additional miles for such fare codes?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. When you book *A flights with Asian carriers, make sure the booking classes are eligible for mileage accrual. SQ have some 0 mileage booking class (even if one segment of the entire trip has an ineligible mileage booking class, the entire ticket will not earn miles). TG and NH have something similar like 50%, 70% of miles flown only.

2. With Star Alliance carriers, you get to use features like the lounge, priority boarding, priority luggage etc.....

3. Not very sure which SQ Y seats are uncomfortable. I believe the 77W and 388 seats are "marginally" bigger in width/pitch than most North American carriers. Other option would be UA Economy Plus.....just don't have high service/food expectation and bring your own iPad etc.....

4. From the *A search, SQ and UA gets u around 1-3am.......NH, OZ, TG can get u in at other times. FYI, SQ37 A345 does NOT have Y class.

5. BR got some good schedules...... They have premium economy which is like your Regional J seat....... Their connection in TPE is nice and short........ and if you are CO/UA, OZ, CA or NH you can earn miles....

6. Other options would probably be KE/DL with Skyteam or CX/AA with One World

7. I am starting to see that some of the *A carriers with Premium Economy charging somewhere between full fare Y and lowest J...... my recent survey NH YYZ-SIN is $3000 and NZ YYZ-AKL wanted $4000+, SQ when it had premium economy 5 years ago charged $2700....... Best option is to buy UA and pay E+ on the long hauls

8. Because the economy is comparatively stronger in Asia and people have $$$, fares out of Asia to Americas is usually more expensive than the other way around. Cheapest SIN to YYZ fare I got was $2800.....whereas cheapest YYZ-SIN fare would be $1300. Similarly my friend's recent travel they paid $3000 for BR's Y+ between TPE-YYZ while the opposite direction only costs $1800.

lwkatya, Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  4. danny
    Original Member

danny Silver Member

Status Points:
    SIN really should be the LAS' airport code.

That is all...

Kalboz, White_Cloud and jbcarioca like this.
  5. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSPeconomist. I was planning to spend about 9 days in LAX before heading back to SIN so that would free up the 1.30am functioning time *not that I would function with that awful possibility* haha. Yeah, I know the taxis are horrendous back home at those times. Doesn't help that my SIN-CGK flights often require me to head to the airport hit with those charges, and landing same day close to midnight to suffer those charges again.

TG's E+ doesn't provide additional 10% mileage under KF. It's a U class booking, so treated as 100% with SIA. Clear advantage with SIA is the 25% (I think) bonus mileages being a KF Gold.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Hi GHT,
    Excellent advice! Especially with KF, one has to be super super careful least you spend a fortune and not get anything in return. Noted on the features too. It can be one of those things where you might think it's nothing, but when you get it, it helps.

Actually, SQ seats are ok only. Seats are rather thin. I've done SIN-CDG (777), SIN-ICN (777), on SQ and their flag-carriers and the SQ seats are good, but not great :). Did the 380 leg with SIN-MEL, and I'm not too keen on their cabin layout and the removal of the upper Y class deck. Then again, as a Y class passenger, I shouldn't be complaining too much :) Definitely against any North American carriers if I had a choice. I feel sorry for the folks who are stuck with them. Thankfully, they are fairly generous with their FFPrograms *speaking from a KF perspective*. SQ37 is the all business class flight. 13hrs 45mins as oppose to a minimum 18hrs flight. Charging around $8k.

BR is tempting indeed. I wished their *A application quickly gets approved. Just not in time for Dec. Pity. Thanks for highlighting the fact that if I wanted to do BR, I should look at cross *A programmes that allow mileage too.

You seem fairly familiar with UA. Is UA+ anywhere close a decent Y+ seat? Like that of TG or even say, KLM Economy Comfort?

Kalboz likes this.
  7. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure which FFP you are in, but if you are a UA MP, technically you could fly BR, put the mileage into a CO account and at the end of the year when they merge CO/UA accounts together it should be transferred over.

UA Y+ is just a regular padded Y seat with a little more legroom (I think its 34-36"). Different from NH, BR Y+ which is essentially a Regional J seat with 38-40" (according to photos and friend's testimony). I did YYZ-TPE on UA/744 earlier this year....and it felt like sitting in history class with big screen TV..... the 772 have PTV but not sure on the choices though.

8. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Currently, FFP for SQ Krisflyer and seriously contemplating on TG. Doesn't help that all the local credit cards point only towards earning KF miles. Guess I should seriously consider SQ then for this flight path and commit the mileage to SQ KF just to feed into the annual Gold renewal and hope that BR joins *A.

Pity about UA Y+ really. Just for the records, the last time I took Y+ on TG for LAX and it was awesome. 42" space, and even in-flight dining was serve on proper porcelain and metal cutlery. Oh, and linens, not those delicate tissue napkins. Sorry to rub it in too. The Y class was a full 38". Really puts the US airlines to shame.

9. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    fly with a North American carrier, you better bring your own food and eye masks..... close your eye and get it over and done with..........

when i did ORD-NRT on UA/744 in Y+...... we had Y food served in heated plastic...... the chicken option was dry..... the won ton stuck to the plastic..... mid flight meal was a bowl of instant noodles...... pre landing was a heated wrap....... back HKG-ORD was better (because HKG makes better food).....but either fried rice/noodles....and prior to landing i forgot...... of course served with side salad, bread roll and some wrapped biscuit or cake

10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not 100% sure but I believe there should be some Singapore-based credit card issuers that will let you convert your reward points to TG ROP. Citibank?

lwkatya likes this.
  11. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this restriction *A-wide or just a KrisFlyer thing? It's the first time I've heard of this policy.

12. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Talking about North American carriers, I found SIN-NRT on UA more traumatising thatn NRT-IAH on CO for some reason...the return leg though IAH-NRT on CO was a nightmare. Seat wouldn't recline and flight running 100% capacity. When you have a seat that wouldn't recline for that length of a flight, I wonder what food would even work :)

13. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Yes indeed, but the reward points are limited to credit card spend only :) And it's only 1 Citibank card.

14. White_Cloud

White_Cloud Member

Status Points:
    Hi Valentine, not too sure if its *A wide, but it is definitely a KrisFlyer thing. Any GV2 tickets on SIA, or promo tickets will not earn you mileage. Any discounted tickets across *A members will earn you partial to none mileage for KrisFlyer. I remembered flying SIN-NRT-SIN on ANA and it was 70% mileage on one sector and 50% mileage on a second sector credited into KrisFlyer.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's a GV2 ticket on SQ?

16. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    GV2 are promotional tickets for 2 people to go

lwkatya likes this.