Suggestions Regarding Beta

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by sobore, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I anticipate a lot of folks signing up for the site. As I experienced this morning the wait for the confirmation email took over two hours. It would behoove the site to state a disclaimer at sign up that "Your confirmation email may take up to xx hours to arrive".
    In addition there is no contact method under HELP to send a note to an administrator for assistance.
    Thanks.

2. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my confirmation email in under a minute...

FriendlySkies likes this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    we have looked at this and in the Beta feedback comments there have been several members who note the same thing and switch email addresses with no problems. So far, the main culprit seems to be Yahoo! and some are reporting that they have other similar problems with Yahoo! email so that particular snag does not seem to be related to MilePoint, but we do not want to assume so have continued to look for any fine tuning we need on our side. That's the joy of any Beta, to isolate things that can go wrong. I have flagged this for our punch list.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Yahoo is what I was using.

5. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I originally signed up yesterday with my work e-mail address, and I got my confirmation within about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, since there was only a "name" field, with no additional field to add a handle, I took it very literally, and typed in my name. I only realized after the fact that "name" meant "screen name," and not the name that people will Google you under......and find all of these posts!!! [​IMG]

So I e-mailed the administrator, and asked to have that account deleted so I could sign up with my Flyertalk handle, and I would re-sign up. He advised me to just sign up with a different e-mail address, since accounts aren't getting deleted at this time. This time, I used my Yahoo address, and the confirmation e-mail took about an hour. So now I have two accounts, only one of which I am using.

Dovster likes this.
  6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same confusion and was about to do the same, but luckily it seemed odd enough and I paused to research a little.

As the expression "Name" is easily misunderstood for real name, may I suggest to Randy that the sign up box should specify "Screen Name", "Login Name", "Milepoint Name", or something similar.

sobore likes this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree as I experienced some confusion around that at sign up.

8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    we will address that this week [monday] on our tech review. thanks.

9. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the sign up email in less than a minute, my question is when can I pay to get rid of the adverts, I hate adverts.

10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    we have several plans for this. One way is to actually earn it, you don't have to spend a single penny. Here's is a list of select benefits we are working with right now and you will be able to earn ad-free simply by being a helpful contributing member. As well, after formal launch we'll have some other ideas to announce on how you can acquire ad-free status. The focus now is creating content, a proper mindset among our members and to work toward making the new technology platform perform to our members expectation. Here's the link to the status system:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/help/trophies

11. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use FT on my old Camino and don't see any pictures from ads. It seems here I have a choice either to remove all pics (even from members) or to keep all of them (even from ads). Is there a way to remove only pics from ads? I'm OK with text ads.

12. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Status Points is interesting as opposed to # of posts. I think I can get used to this.

But I kind of miss the Join Date. Any thoughts to adding that?

13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    For the purposes of the Beta, we elected to leave that off just now. The struggle is we really have challenged ourselves to maintain a clean and easy to navigate interface and the more of that information we add up front, the more invasive it is into the appearance. We totally get that part and have a few ideas for it once we clear the hurdles of making sure the base technology of MilePoint works.
    Question, if you had to choose ... "original member" or "join date"? We're glad to have you here. thanks.

14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe a 'hover' over the users avatar can replace the 'click' on username function. This would keep the avatar box clean and provide any easy way to display lots of user information including join date.

15. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Selfishly I'd choose original member, but once MP is live join date works for more members and so it better in my view.

jswong and RCyyz like this.
  16. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

17. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not "Original Member" followed the month/year? For others that sign up later on simply say "Join date" followed by the month/year.