Suggestions on redeeming for family of 4 trip to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by lapointdm, Jul 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello. My family is looking to fly to hawaii next year using points (It might be February or June/July). We are trying to get flights on the same planes but are ok if there is a mix of economy/first/business seats on the planes. Preference being to have business or first class on flight back from hawaii. We are looking at flying NYC to HNL but could do NYC to OGG and LIH to NYC back since we plan to go to Maui first and then finish up in kauai.

We have

Ultimate rewards points 250,000
    SPG 41,000
    American airlines 135,000

I'd like to use all my american ariline miles. I'm trying to decide if I want to transfer my spg to american airlines miles this month (due to bonus for AA transfer) and fly AA both ways, or fly AA one way and united the other and safe my starwood points for another trip. Since we are looking at spending about 2 weeks in hawaii I would like to use my chase points for "points and cash" stays at Hyatt under the diamond challenge rather than starwood.

Do you think I should do AA and AA, or do UA and AA based on my points distribution, or something that doesn't look like any of those things? I appreciate the help very much!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're willing to fly in economy both ways... SQ KF only requires 35K per person round-trip, you can transfer from UR at a 1:1 ratio. Just note that the transfer takes ~2 business days. If you were to do this, you would have 110K UR points to play around with for hotels.

traveltoomuch and lapointdm like this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the dates I wanted american had flights for 17.5 k miles one way for all of us in the family and I was able to book back the other way. I managed these miles with one of the citi aa executive world cards for 110K with spend and another 10K from a renewal bonus on the card and I scraped together the reminder of the miles from erewards and I only had to purchase 4K. The flights retailed at $3600 and it cost me about $200 all in so can't beat the cost savings on that! Now I just need to figure out the hotels!

4. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotels figured out! I have the fortune of having a lot of ultimate reward points and that transfers to many partners. Also my work has a recognition program that allows for gift certificates for some hotel brands. The overlap with UR and my work recognition was Hyatt. Looking at the room costs per night and knowing that I'll be able to get 12 nights out of this trip points plus cash seemed best. Since we wanted to stay at Maui and Kauai that left the Hyatt Regency Maui, Andaz Maui, and Grand Hyatt Kauai. We wanted to split the time evenly at each resort but after much back and forth points and cash was most available at andaz maui and we were only able to get 4 days at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. I think it will turn out great. I definitely had to call back and forth a few times to get it sorted out, and one of the phone agents got the dates wrong, but after another call it was all straightened out!