Suggestions on award ticket LAX-CDG?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jnyama, Jan 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jnyama

jnyama Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi ho--

Just thought I'd ask for opinions--I have an upcoming trip to Disneyland Paris for the week of 4/9-16 (I can leave/come back a couple days earlier if necessary.) I have a fair amount of AA miles~600k, but have never actually used them for an award ticket, because in the past I always needed the miles to requalify for status. Now, having just achieved lifetime gold, I feel like I can finally use them, but am not totally sure on the best way to go about it. I was thinking of going business class, however my understanding is that AA partner airlines may provide a better experience than AA itself in this matter. Are there any suggestions as to what airline or route to take for a trip like this?

I've also heard that you can choose to make your final return into a stopover and then change the next leg into a flight for a later purpose for no extra charge, but am not sure what the rules for something like that would be.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your options in terms of other airlines to CDG are going to be limited to British Airways, Iberia, Finnair and Malev which are the only other one-world airlines which fly there (routing east from the US). British Airways and Iberia will sting you with heavy fuel surcharges, and whilst the product might be better its debatable whether its worth that extra cost. I've no idea whether you could get a routing via Helsinki of Budapest (or whether you would want to),and unfortunately don't have the time to research for you.

As for the stopover on the way back, providing you take a return flight from Europe that flys directly to LAX, you would be able to add on an additional flight which could be used at a later date (with date changes free subject to availability). You are limited to where you could go on this by maximum permitted mileage (I believe), but AA are pretty generous on this. That said, I can't get the aa.com website to price any stopovers at the moment (in miles) even to close desinations like SFO. Not sure if something is wrong with the system or if I am just having a bad day.

Hope this is useful.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just a few things to clarify here:

1. You can add Air Tahiti Nui to the partner options. It's not oneworld but it does fly LAX-CDG direct. Additionally with 600K miles OP can get creative if they want. It'll cost more miles but CX J via HKG could be done for example.

2. IB does not add fuel surcharges, only BA.

4. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking into this the other day myself, and found pretty good availability going LAX-MAD-ORY on IB

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If it helps the OP, here's some information -

AA mileage partners that fly into CDG or ORY (routes that would require 2 awards to redeem are marked with an *):

TN LAX-CDG
    AA ORD-CDG
    AA BOS-CDG
    AA DFW-CDG
    AA JFK-CDG
    AA MIA-CDG
    BA LHR-CDG
    CX HKG-CDG*
    LY TLV-CDG*
    EY AUH-CDG*
    AY HEL-CDG
    GF BAH-CDG*
    JL HND-CDG*
    JL NRT-CDG*
    MA BUD-CDG
    RJ AMM-CDG*

AB TXL-ORY
    BA LHR-ORY
    IB MAD-ORY (plus various other IB options on Air Nostrum)

Keep in mind that you can also find award space into other European destinations (LHR/MAD/BRU, etc...) and take a train if you are unable to find space directly into Paris. Not sure all these flights are still valid, but I did the best I could with the source I could find! :confused:

6. jnyama

jnyama Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey--thank you all for the great information! I called up AA to ask some questions about it as well, and the agent there recommended Air Tahiti Nui as being the only non-stop carrier. That, BA, AA, and IB seem to be the main options here--does anyone have any preferences for one over the others?

I've heard Cathay Pacific is nice, however the connection through Hong Kong seems as though it would add another day onto the trip. Although, I suppose, there's always the idea of working Hong Kong Disneyland in as well...

Thanks for all the research!