Suggestions: LAX - Cambodia

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by pnjarich, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hey all.

I'm new here but thought you could help with an upcoming trip.

This summer, my wife and I are planning to visit Cambodia then Bali, flying from the East Coast and heading out through LAX. We will cover the ROA-LAX leg with miles but would like any thoughts on the rest. Phnom Penh and Siem Reap are both options and we aren't expecting to be able to stay on our preferred carriers (Star Alliance).

Any tips or tricks? Thanks.

Peter

2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are you only covering the ROA-LAX leg with miles? How many miles are you looking to spend? You have some flexibility with stopovers and routing, so don't discount Star Alliance just yet. A bit more information and we can point you in the right direction.

Mikel likes this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, I'll add several more things that will helps us help you. Which are your preferred *A carriers, what FFP would you use miles from? TG (exBKK) and OZ (exICN) fly into PNH, OZ (exICN) is currenlty the only *A carrier flying into REP. There is one unaffiliated carrier, Cambodia Angkor Air which flies between the two. They code share with VN but I don't believe miles can be earned/burned with them.

Also, how soon/distant are you desiring to take this trip?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think about doing an open jaw ticket using Star carriers and purchasing separate tickets for some of the flights within Asia; there are a bunch of low cost carriers. Look especially at Thai and using BKK as a hub, although SIN might work well too. It might make sense to use your miles for one international ticket and purchase the other one, putting the US domestic connections into both tickets. This protects you better if something goes wrong and you miss a connection.

5. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likewise - consider that open jaws and stopovers are usually allowed. If you provide more detail in the trip, we can help.

6. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not star alliance, but we took China Airlines from LAX-TPE-PNH and the connections were very convenience. If you can get CI miles, upgrade from Y to C is only 30k miles each way, which is a nice deal. Check CI website for special fares, they are usually very cheap.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If it were me I'd focus on using Star Alliance carriers for the long haul portion into SE Asia with United, Asiana, Thai, ANA, or Singapore to BKK or SIN and then use a low cost carrier like AirAsia or Jetstar to get between Cambodia and Bali. If you book far enough in advance, you can save quite a bit over paying the majors to take you there. Just a thought!

Also you might find better deals or even save some time depending on itineraries going across the Atlantic with Star Partners into Europe and then connecting to SE Asia. Is heading out through LAX a requirement (are you stopping over there?) or just what you think is the best gateway?

Edited to add: Depending on your priorities, you might want to look into package fligth deals with some of the alliances like Star Alliance's Circle Pacific or Circle Asia or Oneworld's similar Circle Pacific and Circle Asia/Southwest Pacific options. It might cost more, but if you aren't concerned with cost it might save you some stress about juggling so many itineraries and destinations, as well as allow you to maybe add another destination or go somewhere you hadn't considered.

Regardless, welcome to MP! :)