Suggestions for Singapore?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would love to hear your input on do's and don'ts in Singapore.

I'm off on a six month visit...will stay and travel around on a budget, while looking for work.

Interested in everything from great places to eat to ideas about getting to the airport, etc. If you got something to recommend or suggest please do so.

thanks,
    --Russ

Spangenberg and Kalboz like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'll be in Singapore next week, and strictly speaking on a budget but probably a rather different one than that of which you speak, I'm staying in a suite (from which I hope to be upgraded to a better suite) at the Intercontinental... using Jetquay's service on arrival and departure.. and have dinner bookings at Waku Ghin and Iggy's. Between those two and the food stalls I won't have much time for other stuff while I'm there (I admit, I'm headed to Singapore to eat). But whatever else should I squeeze in between meals? [​IMG]

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    have fun mister!
    yes, your budget is way over my budget ;)

skyvan likes this.
  4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    When in Singapore, I always make a stop at the East Coast Parkway restaurants for pepper crab....with Tiger beer.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You're there for 6 months... I'm only there for about 3.5 days! :)

6. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    well... I haven't booked the return yet... the plan is 6 months, the reality may differ.

the one part I'm looking forward to the most is flying around SE Asia... those $0 fare AirAsia deals will make me do silly things... I know it already! My initial stay in Singapore will be 23 hours followed by a day trip to Malaysia, back to Singapore for 24 hours followed by a two day trip to Thailand... followed by a... you get the idea, lol

mynameismud likes this.
  7. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    TBF - the metro from the airport to the city is pretty easy, but if you're arriving late at night or leaving very early - it's likely going to be a taxi. I really want to take a vacation to that airport, there is just so much going on inside. I've "friended" the airport on Facebook and they do a good job of posting events going on (if you have any interest).

Personally, I don't even need a restaurant when I visit Singapore. I could survive on just the hawker stands. I know la pau sat worked for the post-midnight UA arrivals as a midnight snack :) Enjoy your bouncing around, there is so much to see outside of Singapore (because Singapore itself is kind of dry and boring).

8. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I remember the first time I arrived at Changi I was intrigued by the go-cart track on the premises... because I will be arriving late and leaving very early a few times I might get very familiar with that airport.... any cheapo hotels at the airport itself for a few hours Zzzz's?

9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    That or take a nap in the movie theater :)

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.
  10. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I moved to Singapore just over a year ago. A great city, with a great airport!

Being so densely packed, there's a huge amount to explore. Don't restrict yourself to the touristy places either. There residential estates (or “heartlands” as they're affectionately known) are a great place to see life as real Singaporeans live it. Whatever your interests, there's a lot to see and do. Here are some ideas, though me having a family means they might be a little biased:
    • East Coast Park – a nice-ish beach and some good seafood near there.
    • The Marina – I really like the atmosphere out here in the evenings. You can talk a nice long walk from the Singapore flyer up the river as well as a mini-cruise on a small boat.
    • Zoo and Night Safari – worth it if you are even remotely interested in such attractions
    • Little India – busy and bustling, especially on Sundays, but pretty unique. While there, visit Mustafa Centre that is open 24 hours and sells everything.
    • Geylang Serai – the Malay quarter, a little less of a popular tourist place, but a great look at the old Singapore. Go to the wet market and try the foodcourt upstairs.
    • Arab Street – more tradition here, along with lots of Arab food and the old Sultan Mosque.
    • Chinatown – the Chinese quarter, and a great place to pick up cheap gifts.
    • Sentosa – I've not been, but beaches, resorts and more attractions.
    • Orchard Road – shopping, shopping, and more shopping…
    • Nature Reserves – there are a few parks where you will see monitor lizards, squirrels, tropical birds, fish and terrapins in lakes, and more.
    Food will be the big thing, as you sample a blend of three regional cuisines. You'll be shocked by flavours once or twice, but you'll find a lot to like.

11. As far as eats, visit the many hawker stalls and you'll eat like a king. You can buy almost anything for a few bucks, so be adventurous and try things that you wouldn't otherwise try. Worst case, you're out a couple of bucks and you can go back and try something else.

My favourite place for chili crab (and my personal favourite, white pepper crab) is No Signboard Seafood at the Esplanade Mall:

[​IMG]

And here's an unsolicited ad for my favourite tailor in Singapore:

Mode et Creation Pte. Ltd.
    Far East Shopping Centre (4th or 5th floor)
    545 Orchard Road (next to the Hilton)
    Anthony Tan
    tel: 62353202​
    He does good work at reasonable prices. I bumped into a couple of other Flyertalkers the last time I was in there, so he's definitely on the word-of-mouth trail now.

Bonnie, mynameismud and Spangenberg like this.
  12. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spangenberg and Chimpy like this.
  13. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do have a curry in Little India
    Do have a Singapore Sling in the long bar at Raffles Hotel
    Do check out Mustafa Centre for 24 hour shopping, you can get lost in that store.
    Do catch a show at the Jarong Bird Park
    Do check out the night zoo and at the day zoo have breakfast with the orangutans.
    Do head down to Boat or Clarke Quay for some evening beers and satay.
    Do dust off your credit card and stroll along the Orchard road shops

14. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Street food is indeed excellent in SIN... hard to beat. All the charm of eating on the street and much higher food safety standards than in other large Asian Capitals.

Also, I suggest you dont miss out on La Mien and Xiao Long Bao's.... various great places, even at shopping mall locations.... great prices, great foods.

savydog likes this.
  17. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a clay pot curry in one of the malls and it was great. Was in Brisbane a few weeks ago and what was there was pretty plain fare compared to the Singapore eats.

Chimpy likes this.
  18. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are coming from the states to Singapore and arriving late at night, it's generally cheaper to stay in the airport transit hotel, then to come into the city--though the difference is not quite as much as it used to be. (the airport raised its rates while Priceline hotels are pretty available in Singapore as are other discounts)

Basically you need to know that:
    • You don't go through security (you go to the hotel after you arrive and pick up your luggage the next day)
    • Be sure to bring an extra shirt, shaving stuff for the flight because you won't access your luggage that night
    The airport web page explains how it works. You can reserve in advance or try when you get there. The web site is here

I've done the budget room (because the other one wasn't available). I would have preferred a room with a bathroom, but I checked in at like 1:45 a.m. and left like 8 a.m. and avoided a night of paying for a more expensive room downtown without missing much

19. I am attending a conference in April and someone suggested me to use a combination of wego.com for hotel pricing, combined with gothere.sg to work out my route to the venue. Thought it would be useful for someone.

savydog likes this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can easily spend a full day at the airport. As others have said, the transit hotels (one in each terminal) are quite decent and the prices are reasonable but not super cheap. The T1 and T2 transit hotels are being renovated, so they're not so much different now from the one in T3, which was always considered the superior alternative.

Many of the budget carriers leave from the budget terminal, which isn't connected to the rest of the airport or the subway station in the airport. This terminal has very few amenities and your boarding pass will not give you access to the rest of the airport's airside.

I've never tried to find it, but there is rumored to be a landside hawker center at the airport, primarily for airport workers, but anyone can eat there.

If you're flying SQ, you can check in and go airside as much as 48 hours before your flight. This sometimes works to avoid taking a taxi to/from the airport in the middle of the night and incurring the big surcharges, IIRC at least 50% extra.

There are some public bus routes that go to the airport but I don't know if they have longer operating hours than the MRT (subway system).

Chimpy likes this.
  21. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are actually several. The one you'll never find by accident is next to T1: head out from Customs, turn left, cross the road, enter the carpark and take the elevator up to the level marked "Staff Canteen". The less exciting one is in the air-conditioned shopping mall below T3, between the MRT station and arrivals.

savydog likes this.
  22. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Visit Mustafa's in Little India, open 24 hours. Lots of good, cheap Indian food in the area.

Bonnie, Chimpy and savydog like this.
  23. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is good fun in there, takes a while to work your way through the floors. I was surprised when I had to check my bag with camera outside the store, but no problem with getting it back when I came back out. I have on one occasion wandered in for a curry and the restaurant did not serve beer (sad for an Aussie :)) I decided to stay and the food was great and I had tea instead. Very good people watching, from the table where I sat.

Chimpy likes this.
  24. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    i like eating in Hawkers Center,
    unless you really have a lot of time to kill in Singapore, you should avoid Sentosa

savydog likes this.
  25. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will be landing 3/1/12 6AM and leaving 3/3 11AM. If anyone has any tips or wants to meet up, I'll have plenty of spare time.