Suggestions for sightseeing with very short stops in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by garyst16, Oct 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be traveling on business to Freiburg, Germany, Amsterdam and Rome in late November, early December, with only a day or 2 in each city. The exception will be Rome where I will have a weekend. With only 1 day in both Freiburg and Amsterdam, can anyone provide some suggestions for which sights I shouldn't miss?

cennas and rwoman like this.
  2. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum (see Rembrandt's "Night Watch"), Anne Frank House, canal boat tour, walk through Red Light district, visit a brown cafe, eat a rijsttafel meal (Indonesian rice table)

Bonnie, cennas and rwoman like this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Wurm

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about renting a bike to see the sights in Amsterdam? It's one way to have a real Dutch experience and with dedicated bike lanes and paths, it is also safe.

Also, +1 on having an Indonesian meal. Amsterdam is really where you can get the best and most authentic Indonesian food outside of Indonesia.

lwkatya and garyst16 like this.
  5. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't recall if the cities you're visiting have the "hop on hop off" type of tour bus....but that can be an easy, inexpensive and quick way to get an overview of a city. You have the opportunity to get on and off the bus at any of the stops that interest you. Or you can just stay on the bus as it goes on a loop through the city. We did this in Vancouver and in Barcelona and it worked well for us.

garyst16 and cennas like this.