Suggestions for Orphan BMI miles?

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Pete, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sitting on 42,000 BMI miles in a family/household account. No European travel (which seems to be a decent return from the very little that I know about the program) in the foreseeable future. What can/should I do with these miles?

Flying Bat likes this.
  2. Join my family and we can make a deal.. Pm me

Flying Bat likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can book flights on Star Alliance partners such as UA, CO, US, AC -- no need to fly to Europe to use the miles.

4. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    42k is more than enough for a Cash and Miles Zone 1-3 redemption in Business....

With a bit of creativity, you should be able to stretch these miles easily...

Globaliser likes this.
  5. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will that work if I am already part of my own family account? (And I haven't figured out the PM function here yet :confused:).

6. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wondering about availability on partner airlines. And the domestic (U.S.) redemption rates don't seem too favorable, although I admit that I know little or nothing about the BMI program and need to do some homework.

7. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you use BMI miles to book one-way awards on Star Alliance carriers?

8. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup!

Globaliser and Pete like this.
  9. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything that I can do with 13,000 miles? I don't really care at this point. Just don't want them to go to waste.

10. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Halothane, do you live in USA, Canada, or elsewhere? For 11,250 miles + 75 GBP cash + taxes you can get a 1-way within USA/ Canada/ Mexico / Central America in Biz on any combo of Star Alliance airlines with one stopover!

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any way around having to call the UK service centre to redeem on STAR partners? Like a lot of folks around here, with the takeover by BA, not sure I will be better off in that program rather than redeeming for an award or two with the 32K I have left in my BMI account. Been wanting to do Panama City, miles&£s for a business tkt looks attractive.

14. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    The call centre is a lot better these days for making redemptions through. Made a couple last week that were potentially a bit tricky and they were all sorted and taxes quoted correctly in less than 10 minutes.

If you want to redeem on any *A partners, then you have to call the UK number to do so, which points you through to the call centre in Pune.

Globaliser likes this.
  15. flywrite

flywrite Active Member

Status Points:
    Has anything official been announced yet about what will happen to our BD miles?

I've got just over 60k, so need to decide whether to spend them quick, or hold out for transferring into BA.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing has been announced yet, according to

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-...et-been-announced-re-future-diamond-club.html

I have about twice as many miles as you, and there are too many unknowns in our travel plans to book something firm with them. And I don't really want to burn them for the sake of burning them -- I might as well see them added to my 150k Adios.

17. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I wouldn't expect an announcement particularly soon. IIRC, completion is not due until March, and who knows whether that might still get delayed by the competition regulator. While that wouldn't be an excuse for being dilatory if you have a good current use for the miles, it probably suggests that one shouldn't waste miles in haste either.

RAPC likes this.
  18. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing has been announced other than BMI will leave *A upon completion of the sale.