Suggestions for Munich + Italy trip

Discussion in 'Europe' started by keepinitsimple, Jun 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me and spouse are visiting Munich and Italy for 2 weeks. Requesting suggestions on how to plan sightseeing...

This is the rough outline of the planning and non-refundable hotel reservations

Day 1- 6: Munich and around
    Day 1: (7 AM) Arrive Munich from Vienna on overnight train (29 EUR/pp!)
    Day 1 - 6: Touristy things in and around MUC. No hotel reservations made yet

Day 7 - 8: Venice
    Day 6 night or Day 7 morning: Depart for Venice
    Day 7 - 8: Confirmed non-refundable hotel in Venice (Accor 50% off)

Day 9-10: Dont know what to do
    Day 9: Continue in Venice or go somewhere??. No hotel reservations yet for night
    Day 10:??? No hotel reservations yet for night
    Day 10 night or Day 11 morning: Depart for Rome

Day 11-13: Rome
    Day 11 - 12: Confirmed non-refundable hotel in Rome (Accor 50% off)
    Day 13: (afternoon) Checkout
    Day 13: (night) Leave Europe via FCO. Confirmed C ticket (BD miles)

Suggestions requested
    - How to spend the 6 days in around Munich? Should it be 3 days Munich / 2 Berchtesgaden / 1 Salzburg. Any specific suggested order? Note we are arriving in Munich from Vienna on Day 7 AM

- What are the best attractions in Munich for 3 days.. I am thinking of 1/2 a day for the BMW tour..

- Since these places are nearby, what are the suggested ways to save on hotel rooms? Berchtesgaden is expensive. Can I stay in Munich/Salzburg and travel to Berchtegaden each day? Its a tradeoff, so if it is a hassle or takes too long, we will pay extra to be in the place itself.

- Where should we take the train to Venice from? Should I travel back to Munich to do that or possible from Salzburg? Pls note that we are arriving in Munich on Day 1 morning.

- Any suggestions for Day 9/10 in Italy. Should we stay a 3rd day in Venice or leave for Florence/Pisa or maybe the Amalfi coast for 2 days? I cant drive in Italy.. SO would need to do that by train or flights

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    a suggestion: search the Trip Reports & Destination Forums, here is a thread on Munich: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/munich-what-to-see.21246/
    The above thread has a trip report link it it as well.
    very much agreed on both statements

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Venice was a fantastically wonderful city to visit. Make sure to get lost. Seriously, just wander the alleys and paths. Its amazing what you'll come across once you are off the main tourist paths. We found the best restaurants, shopping and galleries this way.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend seeing the Vatican, it is amazing. Obviously the Roman forum and colosseum are must see's as well. You could take the bullet train from Rome to Naples ( 2hrs) and then a 30-45 minute train ride to Sorrento - then cap it off with a hydrofoil ferry ride to Capri.

here are my trip reports from some of these:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/lufthansaflyer/trip-reports/

There are 3 reports on rome (including sorrento), one on capri and one on pompeii

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very easy. Give Day 9-10 to rome...Allocate even more days if possible

6. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Berchtesgaden is not more expensive than Munich - search for gasthauses which are family-run B&Bs, we are staying at Waldluft in July for around $80 a night (Tripadvisor has tons of reviews). There really aren't any chain hotels except for one huge resort outside of town. Munich to Berchtesgaden is about three hours by train (you have to transfer at Freilassing) so you don't want to go back and forth. Salzburg is closer but the easiest way is by bus (route 840, I think it's about 45 minutes), but Salzburg is also more pricey than Berchtesgaden.

7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points: