Suggestions for Lyon

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Travelrus, Jul 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelrus

Travelrus Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm going there for business at the end of August. Of course I'd like to travel and see more than just Lyon. Is it reasonable to make Lyon the base and take the train for day trips? I have about 3-4 days of free time. I was just in Paris last year so can skip that. I have never been to South of France so that's an option too.
    I like mostly architecture, and gastronomy. Thanks

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can easily take trains to the south, although August is high season. The French migrate for the month of August and you do not even want to think about being on the road or on trains during the high travel days at the very end of the month. Everything is packed and the autoroute becomes a parking lot with delays of ten or more hours being common.

Nice/Monaco would be a nice long weekend. Hotel rates drop and availability goes up on about September 1. There are good high speed trains along the coast in this region that stop in the larger towns such as Cannes, Antibes, etc. but service to many interesting villages is very limited.

From Lyon, it would be easy and interesting to take the train to Avignon for a day. Beaune (one of the larger wine villages) would also work, as would Aix-en-Provence, although it's farther and would also be suitable for a weekend. Other places in the same ares are Nimes, Arles, and of course Marseilles. Bandol and Cassis (wine towns along the coast east of Marseilles) are harder by public transportation.

There are a bunch of wonderful restaurants in the region around Lyon, but they can be tough to do by train unless you can stay overnight in the restaurant's hotel and even then access without a car is tough. Depending on how serious of a foodie you are, taking taxis to restaurants in Lyon and its suburbs might pretty much suffice. In addition to fine dining, try to go to some decent local regional cuisine places and eat the traditional peasant food with local wine.

Travelrus likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can easily take trains to the south, although August is high season. The French migrate for the month of August and you do not even want to think about being on the road or on trains during the high travel days at the very end of the month. Everything is packed and the autoroute becomes a parking lot with delays of ten or more hours being common.

Nice/Monaco would be a nice long weekend. Hotel rates drop and availability goes up on about September 1. There are good high speed trains along the coast in this region that stop in the larger towns such as Cannes, Antibes, etc. but service to many interesting villages is very limited.

From Lyon, it would be easy and interesting to take the train to Avignon for a day. Beaune (one of the larger wine villages) would also work, as would Aix-en-Provence, although it's farther and would also be suitable for a weekend. Other places in the same ares are Nimes, Arles, and of course Marseilles. Bandol and Cassis (wine towns along the coast east of Marseilles) are harder by public transportation.

There are a bunch of wonderful restaurants in the region around Lyon, but they can be tough to do by train unless you can stay overnight in the restaurant's hotel and even then access without a car is tough. Depending on how serious of a foodie you are, taking taxis to restaurants in Lyon and its suburbs might pretty much suffice. In addition to fine dining, try to go to some decent local regional cuisine places and eat the traditional peasant food with local wine.

4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in the region in July/august for the Avignon film festival (the arts fest is most of july). Avignon is a lovely walled town that can be done in a day (I took train there from Lyon) i stayed in a renovated monastery which was flagged Best Western surprisingly nice vs the high end hotel I also stayed at which was so/so. I rented a car to go to nimes and Arles and I found it easy to drive and the towns a bit deserted. If I had time I would stay in monte Carlo, I had a private guide tour of the area and sadly only a few hours there, I would love to go back (there is a Starwood property that looked nice), the town seemed enchanting and relaxing

Travelrus likes this.