Suggestions for luggage storage in Tokyo, arrive UA depart AA 2 days later?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Oct 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Silly question but curious if its even an option.

Can you check in or have an airline hold your luggage for two days?

I'm flying into Tokyo from Singapore on United, then two days later flying out on American to the US. Should I just dump my bag at luggage storage so I don't have to lug it around with me on packed commuter trains? Or are there any options directly with AA?

thanks,
    --Russ

2. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if American would take your luggage two days early (doubtful), would you then trust them to get it onto the correct flight?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go with a left luggage facility at the airport or use one of the luggage delivery services to your hotel. I believe there are still some that provide a bag or two for free to AmEx card holders though I haven't looked the past couple times I passed through town.

4. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't regard the Narita Express or the Keisei Skyliner as packed commuter trains, but I suppose whether you run into those once reaching Tokyo depends on where your hotel is.

And if you are worried about that, many hotels have limousine bus service directly to the hotel and back at about the same cost as the Narita Express. No lugging required.

Most bags at Narita left luggage cost Y800/bag/calendar day. That means that a bag which goes in Monday, out Tuesday is charged as two days.

I am not aware of any luggage delivery services that give a free bag to Amex card holders, but in any case the services aren't a viable option on a two night stay as you would just receive them and then have to send them back. But it would be useful to have specifics if there is an Amex free service as I've never heard of it.

You cannot check your bags with the airline two days in advance.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not everyone splurges on the expensive ride into town. ;)

I never had use for it but back in the day there was a decent amount of discussion about it either in the Japan or AmEx forum on FlyerTalk. It was a nice feature. I never really looked into the time frame of what the delivery was so wasn't aware that it might not work here.

6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not even me; when I get downstairs, I choose the train that gets me to my hotel first -- sometimes it is the Keisei limited express if it's a long wait for a faster train. The only train I have never chosen is the JR Rapid since it is always slower than the following N'Ex because somewhere along the way, it will stop to let the N'Ex pass.

7. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on how much actual lugging you have to do for train changes, how far your hotel is from the train station, etc. If you are unsure about all that, leaving at the airport may be the best option. Unfortunately UA and AA are in different terminals. Not sure if the vendors can accept your bags in one terminal and deliver in the other (never needed to try that, but would be nice); if not, it would make sense to take the trouble to leave it at the AA terminal (#2).

There are also luggage delivery services, more expensive than mere storage, but I suppose you don't want your luggage that badly. :)

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're switching terminals at NRT, allow lots of time. The airlines/alliances run free airside buses for their own passengers but on limited schedules. If you must pick up bags from baggage claim--i.e., go landside first--I'm not sure what the procedure or cost would be. I've never noticed a landside intra-terminal bus at NRT and it could be tough to convince a taxi to accept such a short and cheap fare. Walking does not appear to be an option.

9. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ended up taking the JR NEX train into the city because of the Suica card promo... pricey but because it took so long to get between terminals and my host had evening plans, I had to get to Tamachi in a hurry. The cost was approximately 1,000Yen more than I would have paid for the cheapest Keisiei option, so it was OK.

As far as luggage storage, the way it works in Tokyo, regardless of what time you drop off your luggage they charge you for the full day, same for re-pick up.... so my 48 hours of storage were actually 3 full days at 500 Yen a day.

Instead of going for the held luggage facility which wanted to charge me more for the weight of my bag... I chose the locker at T2 directly opposite AA check-in counter. The way it works is a bit tricky and made me waste more time until I got confirmation that I won't be penalized... basically 500 Yen locks the locker... you pay the rest upon pick up, I thought I needed to pre-pay for the whole 3 days. (ahem 2 days)

The lucker is big enough that I was able to stuff my large duffle bag + a backpack + umbrella, etc. So it was OK... Definitely better than hauling it all around Tokyo.

One observation about Tokyo in general, after seven months in Asia... HOLLY CRAP IS IT EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!