Suggestions for KIVA to be discussed at the DO

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by jbcarioca, Feb 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please make your suggestions in this thread. We will compile them and ensure that they are discussed with Kiva staff during the DO.

If your suggestion requires research or documentation please include it, or links to the data.

nime01, Toula, tondoleo and 4 others like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me a burning issue is the expiry of loans because someone has amounts basketed for what is often extended periods of time. The number of loans that have expired over the past week because someone has $25 basketed is ridiculous, especially when there are peeps on the sidelines willing to fund the remaining amount.

nime01, YULtide, jbcarioca and 6 others like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good issue!

tondoleo, MissBurrill, nime01 and 6 others like this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you to everyone commenting about this issue!

We have put forth this problem to Kiva and will raise it again with them at the Do. We have a scheduled talk from Kiva technology and will have a breakout session (both on Friday) for discussing this matter. Along with fellows sponsorship using miles, international currency exchanges and tax deduction for donations from international sources, this is the biggest issue we hope Kiva will address.

Please keep the suggestions coming -- the more questions we get, the better the speakers can frame the discussion and research the answers!

tondoleo, MissBurrill, nime01 and 5 others like this.
  5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    An item I noticed today was loans incorrectly listed (e.g. home improvement loans listed as related to a business enterprise instead of personal use). I know Kiva likely relies upon field partners or translators but has there been any consideration to providing a method by which Kiva lenders can easily alert the organization to a miscategorization / problem with translation from the original language?

tondoleo, MissBurrill, nime01 and 7 others like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to add:
    1) the ability to search by member and other statistics for the Kiva team, including listing members in alphabetical order, maybe inverse in order to avoid a few pages of "anonymous"
    2) ability to sort individual portfolio and team by various parameters
    3) increasing the maximum for Kivalens sorts

7. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    My question is when will Kiva be in the Solomon Islands and East Timor. It's been well answered on this board but PLEASE Kiva I would love to support the people of these countries which I have special memories of.

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do we post in this thread, or in the other one (as I already did)?

tondoleo, nime01, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either is good - jbc added this one in case people who cannot attend did not venture into the sub-forum. Your inquiries have been noted, but please feel free to add more in either one!

tondoleo, nime01, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too.

Maybe I don't know how to look, but I sometimes feel confused about the nature of group loans, which seem to sometimes be presented as the story of only one individual in the group. When I ask for loans to women, the search seems to include group loans that have both men and women. I suspect that searching by industry can do the same thing when it's a varied group.

I'd like to urge Kiva to be much more transparent in flagging the loans that are for personal rather than business purposes. An individual home improvement project should not look like a construction business loan or a loan to improve business premises until one reads closely. Maybe some of these personal loans are greatly needed, but some of us do not want to fund them and it should be much easier to avoid them and to avoid spending time examining them. Similarly, education loans (where I am much more sympathetic and supportive) should ideally also be clearly flagged.

IDGflygirl, kiwi, tondoleo and 3 others like this.