Suggestions for best use of points

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Janica, Nov 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Janica

Janica Active Member

Status Points:
    I am about to cancel an AmEx Gold business card as the annual fee of $175 is being added this month. I have 40K membership points that I need to transfer first. I'm trying to decide the best use of those points. Some things I am considering are SPG points that I could then transfer to AA miles, BA Avios (I am within driving distance of DFW so using them for short hop flights has some appeal -- but 40K is a lot to use that way) or using them for Amazon purchases for holiday shopping. Any feedback on these plans or other ideas I haven't thought about would be most appreciated.

Newscience and daninstl like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did this myself a few years ago and found small article purchases more advantageous. If nothing else you can get some Christmas shopping in.

3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would go the BA route, that's eight short hall flights (one-way) from DFW, so four round trips. I'd think you could dream up some flights that are more fun than $400 in holiday shopping.

flyforawg, Newscience and daninstl like this.
  4. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    Do you have access to any other mileage currencies? I just redeemed a little over 57,000 for a oneway JFK-FRA in Singapore Suites next year. You could also call the AMEX retention line. They may waive the annual fee or offer you a retention bonus.

daninstl likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best value really depends on how you'd ultimately use the miles/points once you transfer them. E.g., if you transfer them into an airline program and later never find the opportunity to use them, your value is zero and the Amazon purchase might be better. On the other hand, the "shopping" option is generally perceived as not being great (1 cent per point?) compared to air travel. But then, bird in the hand...

MX likes this.
  6. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get the no fee Everyday card for the 10K sign up bonus. Then you cancel the AMEX Gold and figure out what to do with 50K MR points.

flyforawg, MX, iolaire and 1 other person like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would transfer them to SPG and then figure it out as you go. You might look for a transfer bonus but it sounds like your short on time on this.

iolaire likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is currently a 50% transfer bonus to SPG (until end of month). However, that still gives you only 750 500 SPG points per 1000 MR points, and if the goal ultimately is to transfer to AA, I am not sure that that is the way I would go (vs. the BA-redeem-on-AA route).

iolaire, daninstl and MX like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Iolare is right on! The airlines want you to use your air miles/points on overpriced purchases! If you do the math, you should come out ahead with flights versus stuff most all the time! ;)

iolaire, daninstl, pittguy81 and 2 others like this.