Suggestions for best starwood hotel in Barcelona -- New 2 rooms for family of 5

Discussion in 'Europe' started by jporritt, Jan 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jporritt

jporritt Active Member

Status Points:
    We are traveling to Barcelona in late April and looking for the best hotel for family of 5. I have 200,000 starwood points and our stay will be 5 nights. We are heading to Seville and then Madrid after that for brief stays. Any suggestions or comments would very much be appreciated!!

Thanks

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really the info you're looking for, but we found Barcelona a particularly desirable place to do an apartment rental (which are quite common there) due to the fantastic food markets -- we ate many of our meals from food we bought in the markets. Had an apartment in El Born with two bedrooms and a terrace for well under half what a hotel would have cost.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Barcelona the Le Meridian will be your best bet its more centrally located than the other SPG properties. The W is very nice but is more of an hip adult property (since you did give the age of the five travelers) added to that its at bit out for the way and a even fair walk to the nearest metro.

In Seville the choice is the Alfonso XIII and in Madrid the Palace. All the properties mentioned treat SPG Plats ( I have had wonderful stays at them all) very well but since you will need a minimum of two rooms in each property you are going to use up almost all your 200k points.

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barcelona - the four points is MUCH more reasonable and easy to get around on public transport (about 15 minutes to most tourist sights) or a 15-30 walk to the beach (down an very nice walking/bicycle street) or to the Gaudi cathedral (and 20 minutes by public bus to an interesting park in the hills with lots of Gaudi stuff and good for children if they are in your party.
    For me being able to walk outside in a calm, residential area with loads of restaurants and easy transport to town was better than being in the "madness" of the Le Meridian area (think streets so crowded you can barely walk)

The W has great water views, but is in the middle of nowhere and if it's cold (likely in April) an unpleasant walk to get to transport (unless you plan to take cabs).
    Altho I'm loyal to starwood there are a lot of more reasonable options in Spain if money is an issue. Also for 5 people have you thought of airbnb?

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I posted in your other thread - had the same idea- suggested airbnb for just this reason - but I there are other ways to do it too.