Suggestions for a day trip in Washington state (outside of Seattle)

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by RobotDoctor, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

RobotDoctor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for suggestions for a day trip in Washington state (starting from Seattle). I am looking for suggestions away from Seattle (mid April time frame). Possibly a drive through Olympic National Park and the coast, possibly a drive to Anacortes and a ferry to the San Juan Islands.

Please include points of interests, restaurants, things to do. Yes, it will probably be raining but ....

Thanks in advance.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    (1) Mt. Rainier National Park...the visitors center at sunrise gives a nice overview of the area....or (2) if a dormant volcano isn't your thing, go a bit further south to the Mt. St. Helen's visitor center which includes all sorts of stuff from the 1980 eruption.

(3) San Juan Islands can be tough to do in a day. particularly if you want to get onto one of the islands and see things. If you just want to do the ferry ride, that's another thing. An alternative would be for a day trip up to Whidbey Island. Go north on 5 until you get to the Anacortes exit to the San Juans...follow that west until you reach the left turn for Oak Harbor. Follow that road and cross over Deception Pass. There's plenty of spots to pull over just before and just after the bridge to check out the view from above. There's also a path down to a park right on the water. Continuing south, you'll cross through Oak Harbor. Here you can do one of two things (a) take the ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend (on the Chetzemoka, the newest ferry in the state's fleet). Port Townsend is an old military post turned artist commune (they filmed An Officer and A Gentleman there). From PT, you can drive south and pick up the ferry at Kingston, and connect back to I-5 south. or (b) keep driving south on the island...stop off at Ft. Eby State Park for a walk on the beach. Head all the way down to Clinton, where you can catch the ferry to Mukilteo. From there you can head to Paine Field and catch the Dreamlifter and the Dreamliners waiting for engines, fixes and the like before certification (if it is a weekday, you can add a tour).

(4) Ferries not your thing? Head east on I-90. Snoqualmie Falls was used as backdrop to Twin Peaks, and the Lodge there does a fantastic Sunday Brunch. Afterwards, you can head north towards Woodinville where you can tour the RedHook brewery and the dozens of wineries in the area. Missy D would be able to give more detail on those.

I know I didn't include any eating establishments, but that's because I generally either bring lunch to eat along the way, or its been awhile since I've done any of these.

3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    For just a slight tweak to the excellent recommendation above I highly recommend driving up into to Anacortes, out towards the ferry but keep going straight to Washington Park, great vistas of the San Juans from there. Then you can head back to Deception Pass on the back roads that take you by Bowman Bay & Pass Lake on the North side of Deception Pass just don't forget to stop just South of the bridge to get incredible vistas of the pass. On the other hand if you take highway 20 you will go by Cambell lake which has an island in it making it the vista of a island on a lake on an island (you are on Fidalgo Island as you go by it) You can travel South down Whidbey Island and take a ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo.

If you do head over to Woodinville here is a site for finding wineries
    http://www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/VisitorInfo.cfm or http://www.gotastewine.com/woodinville-wineries.php

4. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second Port Townsend. there are some really cool restaurants and shops there. There are tons of great microbreweries in Washington as well. Some of my favorites are North Fork Brewery Pizza and Wedding Chapel, Issaquah Brew House, Boundary Bay in Bellingham, and La Connor Brewing in La Connor.

5. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to what is listed above the Boeing Tour in Everett is wonderful linky

6. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My friend and I are going to take the ferry to Orcas Island and spend the afternoon exploring. We will go to Mt. Constitution and probably window shop (ie. take long walks together). We have reservations for supper at Deer Harbor Inn.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be sure to look into the other suggestions on subsequent visits.

7. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to live out at Doe Bay on Orcas, it is a wonderful island, hope you have a wonderful time!

8. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My friend and I had a terrific time on Orcas Island. The weather forecast 10 - 15 days out did not look too good but as the day got closer the weather pattern changed (for the better). The weather forecast for the day we were taking our adventure got better as the day approached. The morning of our day was fabulous. The only time we were concerned was driving through Everett when it became dark and the rains came down (at times hard). Later we realized that Everett was in need of a cleansing. After we passed Everett the skies parted and the sun came out to reveal what was going to be an exquisite day!

Once in Anacortes, sun casting incredible rays upon us, we found an interesting brewpub and had lunch and a couple of "Barley Pops" (my kind of woman!). We arrived at the ferry terminal and hung out until the trip to Orcas. The ride on the ferry was very peaceful and we enjoyed it, and the company. Once we got to Orcas Island we made a beeline to Mt. Constitution. However, we stopped in Eastsound for a bit of window shopping and a nice stroll. Again, it was peaceful ... perfect. We then drove to Mt. Constitution. If there were any issues during the day it was the 3 or 4 times I missed turn offs because I was so engaged in conversation with my friend that momentarily I lost my grasp of where I was. I suppose I was very into this moment. Well, we finally made it to Mt. Constitution and the views were amazing. This is a MUST DO for those who go to Orcas Island.

We had supper at an Inn and a couple more "Barley Pops". The Inn was very nice, the host was very courteous and we had a very nice supper.

This is when a feeling of slight sadness fell on me. I knew our day was waning and we would be headed back to the ferry terminal in a few moments. The ride back was very nice as well. There was a beautiful full moon and my friend loves to see the moon (again, could not ask for a more perfect setting for us). We got back to Anacortes and started our drive back.

I will say that our day was slightly busy, maybe on a marathon's pace, but it was fun. We were both relaxed and, frankly, both needed a day like this to rejuvenate us. I would recommend a day trip to Orcas, or even an overnight trip. There is enough to do there to keep anyone occupied. However, I get the feeling people go to Orcas Island to get away from the hustle and bustle of our everyday life and take the opportunity to simply relax. What a concept! Will my friend and I return to Orcas Island again? Most definitely! However, this time we will slow down a bit and take the time to smell the flowers we pass by in a flurry on this trip.

Thanks to all for offering suggestions for my excursion. I simply wanted to plan and execute a day my friend would find to be amazing. I believed I was fortunate to give her that experience. In the end, this is all I had hoped for for my friend, to offer her an amazing day. This was my hope because she has simply been amazing to me. Again, thanks.

9. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad you had a fun trip :)