Suggestions Color-code different alert types

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by SC Flier, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking about turning off alerts for whenever someone likes one of my posts messages. It's not always easy to quickly scan the list of alerts to distinguish a "liked your post" alert from a "replied to the thread" alert. So my alternative proposal is to color-code each alert type. Either a different color altogether, or a different shade.

A slightly related question: The way that I use the Alerts box is to right-click on each link to then open it into a new tab. Could this be set to make opening a new tab the default method when I click on one of these links?

Jim, Gargoyle, kiwi and 1 other person like this.
  2. Life is in color.., Living Color :p

3. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the alerts for both, but perhaps a color coded one to differentiate would be a good thing. Just my $.02 but it doesn't really matter to me that they currently look the same. I would prefer a same-color alert to no alert at all, if that makes sense. Cheers!

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone likes one of my posts, I don't necessarily want to click on it to re-read what I wrote and they liked. Whereas, if someone replies to a thread that I am following or if someone quotes me, I'm more interested in following the link.

I'm glad to see when people like my posts, but I don't find those particular alerts to be helpful for staying up to date with new content.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Very good idea. It needs to be user customizable, we can select the colors.

Different computer monitors display color differently, and some people have vision issues with some colors; they can provide a default color palette, but each user should be able to change those.

SC Flier likes this.
  6. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha the op just got a red flag

SC Flier and Freddie Listo like this.
  7. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having had a day to rethink this, I agree with SCF that it would be nice to have a visual distinction between the two, such as a "like" could be displayed in a lighter shade of blue on the alerts display and the "replied to the thread" alert could be a darker shade, or similar.

SC Flier likes this.
  8. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    There should also be a "Mark All Read" option, with the alerts otherwise remaining in the alert box until they're clicked on.

9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a good idea and enhancement, any color suggestions?

10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you refresh the alerts then this has the effect of marking old ones as read.

kwai likes this.
  11. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you use or seen the 'Alert Preferences'? Then again, I am assuming this about the change of alert colors.[​IMG]

Should MilePoint have a five color alert system like Homeland Security? [​IMG]

12. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's rather painless to scan through and the ones that are quoted or in a relevant thread can be opened quickly. If it's just a like I'll probably ignore it... unless it's potentially for a picture I posted. Then I'll check it out.

Right click --> open in new window is your friend.