Suggestion: Size check before the file upload

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by JALPak, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just now I tried to upload a pic and turned out it has exceeded the size limit. But it only tells me after the upload is completed. Is it possible to do the size check before the upload instead?

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes. I was trying to upload a photo yesterday, didn't realize I hadn't edited the original- it was 5 mg, and the site almost accepted it before hanging. It seemed like I could have gotten away with uploading a 3 or 4 mg image, which would mess up page load times for everyone else. [​IMG]

Other forums I use have a strict limit, both on file size and on image dimensions, and notify you prior to upload.
    (the image dimension limit is important, we should have that- otherwise a pix could stretch the browser so it's wider than some screen displays)

JALPak likes this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like we had the same problem and only realized about that after waiting for the upload to be completed, which could takes a while depending on your file size and connection

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    yes, that seems to be what happened. it got to the end of the upload and then just sat there, I finally hit cancel and it took a little while to clear up.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ah, one good thing I just discovered. If you upload a graphic that is wider than the display window of another person viewing the forum, it shrinks the image to fit in their display. When they hover the mouse over it, it offers an option to view the image full size.

so wide images won't mess up peoples browsing experience.

kiwi likes this.
  6. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or at least display a warning about the upload limit before asking for the filename.