[Suggestion] Signature size limit

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by TravelerRob, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to make a suggestion. I did use the search feature and didn't see this come up yet so apologies if this has been covered already.

I'd really like to see a stringent limit put on signatures. Right now, it seems, you can have a virtually unlimited signature both in number of characters and numbers of lines of text. One thing I actually like about FT is their signature size limit.

While I also really like the fact you can put logos in your signature to easily signify someone who is a DL flyer, for example, can we get these icons in a smaller size?

Bottom line for me is that I'm finding it difficult to load up a thread and separate the meat (input) from the fat (signatures). Signatures are just not that important, IMO.

Thanks,
    RM

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a way for you to hide the signatures. Here is the tutorial thread with video

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/feedback-please-video-faq.3499/#post-94601

Of course, if you still want to see other folks' signature, it would be nice to have a limit on their size and dimension. The page is long enough, I don't like it when there's big (in dimension) signatures and I have to scroll down more than needed.

3. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the hide signatures most of yesterday and it did clean up. I changed it back this morning because I was missing everyone's affiliations.

Funtodoimpossible and Gargoyle like this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd support a size limit on the displayed text, but the limit should ignore anything within tags.
    This next line is 119 characters long when you include the BBCode URL behind it.
    Suggestion: Signature Size Limit

Perhaps another user option could be to ignore images in signatures. Or a color choice to make all signatures gray so that they are visible but don't stand out as much.

lin821, charlilo and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think we need a community beautification committee and a set of building codes- any signature has to be submitted for approval. That will foster a graceful, beautiful façade, helping this to remain the most upscale travel location on the internets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CdnFlier and SC Flier like this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the approval for selection of avatars and usernames. And "likes" should go through an approval committee, too. All posts without any likes should get automatically removed after a grace period.

[​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since we're in Beta Feedback, this is a test...

:p I can't say that I like the capability to create a post with this many blank lines.

8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too late...this post has been liked and thus by your own suggestion:

This post now has to stay :)

;)
    [/quote]

charlilo and SC Flier like this.
  9. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Signature limit size? Do you mean by the size of font and logos?

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until the thought police Community Beautification Committee says otherwise, of course!

Gargoyle and Kaanapali like this.
  11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thought is that it should have a limited total height. I currently have all signatures disabled, though, so my opinion is not very firm. I'd like the ability to ignore specific users' signatures. A disadvantage of such functionality, though, is that if the user later changes or improves (in my opinion) their signature, then how would I know to un-ignore it?

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  12. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay. I understand. If there was sort a different color alert/ symbol or that tells you a 'user' you have ignored has change/ updated their signature.

I think 'if' there was a feature. You would either have to follow the user.... OR... if a option in your MP settings where there is a box to filter/hide signature by typing in the words or user name or copy/paste.

Like a Ad block but.. a signature block.

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And yet you have an informative signature.
    I do think the idea of a height limit, and the granular ability to set it so we see text and not images, will give a cleaner look and give users a lot of individual control over their MP experience.

SC Flier likes this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great idea.

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad my thread has generated so much discussion already.

In terms of limiting the signature, I think I spelled out what I'd like up in the original post. To recap, it's limiting the overall size in terms of number of characters and number of lines.

And I also mentioned I think we should somehow limit the graphics that can be put in signatures as well. Although I really like all of the logos one can put in their signature (like I currently have DL, CO and Marriott), I think they are overall very distracting to the experience on MP.

I'd like to see the following signature limits:
    1. Limited to 150 characters (total)
    2. Limited to two lines of text
    3. No graphics.
    4. Embedded URL's that another user can click on and open a new browser tab should be allowed.
    5. The text size in signatures should be smaller than that of the default thread text size.

Thanks,
    -RM

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will note that you are personally violating two of your proposed five rules already ...

In any case, I think these rules seem rather draconian given the spirit of MilePoint. Some sort of limit may be reasonable, but this is not, uhh, that other FF forum. :) You can always turn off signatures altogether if they bother you ...

17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only two? ;)

mht_flyer likes this.
  18. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The status was supposed to be a distraction under the avatar, but huge signatures under the posts might not. I'm not giving any opinion here, I'm only noticing some inconsistency.

19. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know I am :) I'm keeping up with the Jones' right now.

But I'm keeping my signature this way to make a point....it's incredibly distracting to a thread and should not be allowed.

We should all be put on a level playing field bound by the restrictions I have recommended or we all come up with as a group in this thread.

Thanks,
    RM

20. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy the way it is, I have no issues with the way it looks.

Adding graphics is a nice touch and I absolutely don't want to see that go away.

I don't think any policy restricting graphics from being displayed should occur, I agree with tomh009 on this one.

21. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there any currently any limits to what can be put into a signature and what can the software actually do? Not that I would but, can you embed video or embed huge graphic files? I'm just thinking along the lines of there is one in every crowd that will drive people nuts with something.

22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I only hope that animated gifs are forbidden. :eek:

SC Flier and mht_flyer like this.
  23. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to view my settings to remember what was in my signature. I had totally forgotten.

In the spirit of supporting this thread for beta testing, I've changed my settings to again show signatures. (for now)

Gargoyle likes this.
  24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting. So, when you block signatures, you even block your own. [​IMG]

SC Flier likes this.
  25. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that it's pretty loose right now. I haven't tested it that much, though. One problem that could also arise is that what might look good with a decent layout for one member, might look bad in another member's browser. A common example would arise for users with different screen resolutions. Without a true mobile version, I'm betting that I'm going to dislike signatures again very soon when I pull up MP again on my Android phone.

This is the one for which I'd want to be able to ignore the signature on an individual basis without having to ignore all signatures. I have the same opinion about a few avatars which I'd prefer to replace.