Suggestion for Luxury Hotel Forum- post 3 reviews per week?

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currently there is very little content on this Forum. One suggestion- there are a lot of familiar faces here- why not see if we can each post 3 reviews a week of luxury hotels we frequently stay at. I started today with the Grand Hotel in Stockholm, and will post on another city on Monday. What do you all think?

gleff likes this.
  2. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a good idea to encourage reviews but 3 a week might be too many because reviews should be as current as possible and not many people stay at luxury hotels on a regular basis. Also, requests for reviews ( i.e.
    Wanted: review on Intercontinental Hong Kong) could be an encouragement for people to respond so requests as well as reviews should be encouraged. Good for you for being proactive and engaged; that's what makes this site a great resource!

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of requests as well... I think the problem is some of the hotels fall under other chains so you'll see reviews for an IC hotel under the Priority Club section.

Plus people tend to bundle their hotel stays for luxury ones under Trip Reports, so you basically have sections sort of competing with each other for content.

Not sure how to address that though. :)

4. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's luxury hotel reviews, requests, and deals even if there is a little overlap.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think deals and review requests are a must, it just seems like the sections are fighting with each other for content right now.

For example, I'm at the Willard in DC as we speak. Should that review go into the Washington DC section, the IHG section, the Trip Reports section our right here under Luxury Hotels?

And even if we put stuff here, there has to be a consensus or help from the staff to move all future relevant stuff into this section instead. Like I said there's no easy answer, and if you look at some seconds here you can already see the problem of similar content posted in multiple sections (the US Airways promotion being the latest example)

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that MP plans to move threads out of the Newbie area and into appropriate fora after some period of time, but I agree that there should be some agreement and guidance on what belongs there.

Personally, I tend to think that putting all hotels affiliated with chains into the chain fora master threads for reviews makes sense, but perhaps there should be some systematic list here with links to luxury "chain" hotels so that these properties aren't forgotten.

I tend to think of the city sections as being for tourist to-do information, including local transportation options. I think I would prefer restaurant information and reviews to be in the city/region fora too, using the "general dining" area for general topics and chain restaurant information, but that's just me.

KENNECTED and Wurm like this.
  7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I very much agree with this idea. A short link would alleviate unneeded cross-posting, while making readers of one forum aware of a review posted in another forum.

As for the number of reviews, I only have a small number of true luxury stays per year. Over the years I've been to a number (in North America in Europe), but I hesitate to post reviews since so much can change after a year or more. What I prefer to do in this case is to post comments to a thread asking about the property, with the clear caveat that my stay was in the past.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just playing the devil's advocate here but I think that a thread elsewhere with a link might invite discussion in that thread rather than here, but I could be wrong.

One thing I will suggest is that we standardise review format for the sake of clarity. Even if you have a free-form review, at least have some common elements to help people get basic information at a glance. For example, people should note how they booked (website, deal link, travel agent, etc.), whether it was an award stay, etc.

Wurm likes this.