Successful Awards: AAdvantage oneworld

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by magic111, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As my preference is for 16 segment oneworld awards thought it might be interesting/useful/helpful to have a thread similare to the successful aadvantage all partner awards.

I have the following booked for travel in two parts starting in April and completed in August.
    LAX-JFK-BUD-FCO//PSA-MAD-MIA-SFO-DFW-MSP-ORD-LHR-OSL-HEL-ORD-LAX Actually this one is 15 segments and one open-jaw.

25-35K award flown in J = 190k miles and $325 taxes and fees.

Gargoyle, TennisPro, PAinNY and 6 others like this.
  2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I helped a hearing-impaired friend book the following for himself and his wife, also in business, leaving in late May:

MIA-xBOS-MAD-ATH-xAMM-BKK-xHKG-PVG-HKG-CMB-SIN-PER-BNE-LAX-xORD-BOS-MIA, 16 segments, $316 pp taxes/fees.

PAinNY, jbcarioca and magic111 like this.
  3. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! I was always thinking of OW awards in terms multiple stopovers, which would require taking a longer vacation and so I haven't booked any of them so far. Looking at your trip, I realized I can book 2 award trips to Europe in J for 190K, which is a great deal! If you live on the east coast, you might even squeeze 3 trips to Europe for 190K!

4. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I commonly make two vacations out of a single oneworld sometimes 3. But it takes positioning as you can not return to your start point unitl the end. Last year I did HKG-BKK-SIN-NRT In January and than went RTW in May-June,

5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. This year we'll redeem 2 x 190K miles for two trips, the first SEA - Italy and back (to YVR) in April, then YVR - South Africa and Tanzania/Kenya - SEA in August/September. I'll post the route when we've got dates and flights pinned down.

6. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm a newb, can you explain what this all means? Is there somewhere you can point me to learn what it all means?

7. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm not terribly versed in oneworld award redemptions... But just wanted to pass along the oneworld redemption page on the AA website in case you haven't found it. (It took a little digging for me to find it when I was first looking for it a few years ago...but then again, I'm a little slow in the head. :p)

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/oneworldAlliance/main.jsp#using

oneworld Award Chart

8. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    25k-35k = Total miles flown butt in the seat
    J = Business class
    190K miles = total aadvantage miles spent

This post maintained/updated for more than 5 years by the original poster is IME the best accumulation for information on AAdvantage oneworld awards anywhere.

Gargoyle, joesmoe, PAinNY and 5 others like this.
  9. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That sounds like an amazing trip in any case.

10. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I said before, your trip gave me a new perspective on OW awards and I started going over the rules in detail and examining what's possible. Now that I have freshened up my knowledge of the rules, I've looked at your routing again and I have to wonder: SFO is your destination city, but you also stop or transit through it - this is technically not allowed by the rules. Is this something you might get away with from time to time? It would certainly be useful to be able to do this when you're trying to put two trips in an award reservation (or you can add a dummy sector at the end if you can spare one segment and a few miles).

PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  11. monster
    Original Member

monster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bump: I too am curious about how you were able to stopover/connect in the termination airport.

12. Super excited for the following trip I have booked for my "post CA bar exam" trip this upcoming August with a friend of mine! the award was 130k all in business class :)

LAX-HKG-BKK stop here and bought some air asia flights around thailand and down to bali and singpore)/ SIN-SYD-LAX.

TennisPro and jbcarioca like this.
  13. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    After a kind redirect from the AA All-Partner redemption thread, I'm posting my latest OW redemption itinerary here...cashed in two OW130 rewards a few weeks ago for a quick May/Jun trip in business to see friends in Oslo & explore IST:

SEA-ORD-MIA on AA (first) MIA-BCN-MAD-IST on IB (business)
    IST-LHR-OSL on BA (Club Europe) w/overnight 21hr layover
    OSL-HEL-JFK on AY (business) JFK-SEA on AA (first)

Our routing isn't 100% ideal, but we got it to work. Fees/taxes ran a bit pricy at just over $250/pp (plus $20 phone fee). Beggars can't be choosers after all!

TennisPro and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have on several occasions over the last few years used an RTW, but made independent RT in the middle, so I was able to use the whole trip for work but return home in the middle then continue on the RTW. Several times I did that lving in MIA and taking the RTW eventually to NRT, using an RT, NRT-MIA-NRT, then continuing the RTW. That gave me the stopovers, and reduced overall costs.

As magic111 says, it takes planning!

PAinNY and spotydoty like this.
  15. To me it seems that you have 2 open jaws in this itinerary. The 1st is the surface segment FCO-PSA and the second is at the end since you do not return to LAX from SFO. I always assumed that if one did not return to the originating city, that was considered an open jaw. Am I missing something?

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Posted this in the Partner award thread, but since its actually a oneworld award I figured I should repost here:

[​IMG]

Total Tax & Fees: $448
    Total AA Miles: 280,000

joesmoe, TennisPro and rharrigill like this.
  17. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    oops a typo. I am returning at the end to LAX

Gargoyle likes this.
  18. gogogo888
    Original Member

gogogo888 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked two awards, one is LAX-SFO-HKG in CX First, total is $5 tax + $25 phone booking fee and 67.5k miles.
    The second one is HKG-JFK-LAX in CX First for $35.5 tax + $25 phone booking fee and 67.5k miles

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    These sounds like regular partner awards, not Oneworld awards, so you might have posted in the wrong thread unless I'm mistaken....

Either way, good job. I hear good things on CX business, and depending on when you go maybe you'll luck out on the new seats in J. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a relief, I was beginning to doubt my whole understanding of OW awards: Not only did you seem to have two OJs, you were also connecting/stopping in your destination city - and you said it was ticketed!

jbcarioca and PAinNY like this.
  21. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked the following: BOS-MAD, MAD-BCN, BCN-JFK, JFK-MIA, MIA-MVD, EZE-MDZ, MDZ-SCL, SCL-LIM, LIM-CUZ, CUZ-LIM, LIM-JFK, JFK-BOS. 130K mile award for C, this came in at 19,900 miles. We will do this as two separate trips. Not yet sure what we will do for BOS-JFK, since we are BOS based and will need to travel back to BOS between trips, probably just buy two cheap one ways or a round trip, when we get closer to the start of this trip in September. Taxes are @ $165.

magic111 likes this.
  22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    My partner and I do two trips per year, using a paid OneWorld Around-the-World (RTW) fare for me (an xONEx) and award flights for him. We start the trips outside North America so we can return home in the middle, making one ticket into two trips.

I work very hard and using a OneWorld Award, but usually have to give up an book All Partner awards instead. Even though we start 330 days out, there always seem to be some segments where we just can't get award space until months later. Since awards can only be held for five days, we have to either ticket what we can get as we can get it, or give up the space and hope we can get it back later.

Our 2011 trip is JNB-SYD-HKG-NRT-DFW-SAN-DFW-MIA-CUR-MIA-LAX-LHR-FCO-LHR-JNB. I tried every possible routing as a OW Award, but couldn't book any of them. Using OneWay Flex awards cost me hundreds of thousands more miles.

23. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't know if you are someone who needs requalification for elite or if you get your miles by cc. But if you are looking for eqm you ought to search for something like I did on the trip in the OP.

To get from sfo to lax flew via BNA as it was only about $70 more but earned me 3893 eqms instead of 500 minimum for the direct. (sfo-dfw-bna-lax vs sfo-lax)

Gargoyle, weinskkb and sagefemme52 like this.
  24. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
  25. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    sagefemme52 likes this.