Answered: Subscribe to forum, not thread ?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by squid, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points:
    upgrade and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    We currently do not have a follow forum feature, though we do see this as a feature we will almost certainly have at some point in the future. (This issue is on the suggestion master list)

In the mean time there are two ways you can be notified of new topics in your favorite forums:

1) RSS - You can subscribe to the RSS feed or the forum. The link for this is directly to the right of the forum name in the forum list.

2) Twitter - Most forums on milepoint have a twitter feed that tweets when a new topic is created you can find a list of these twitter feeds at: http://twitter.com/#!/milepoint/milepoint-twitter-feeds/members

adl73x and jbcarioca like this.
  3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    RSS is good, but the feeds have nothing but the thread titles. Is there a plan to get the first post in the thread into the RSS feed along with the title, so that it works like all my other RSS feeds?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    This is something we are looking at, you can track it on the suggestion master list as well,

adl73x and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Love this site, but I've found my amount of visits here are less frequent due to this missing feature. On other forums, I click the 'My X' (with X being the name of the website name), and I can quick hit all the boards I want to check out. Here, it is a much more involved process.

There are so many great features about this site and this is the only one that makes it such a challenge for me to visit on a regular basis. I know you guys are working hard on making this place even better, so I'm looking forward to this hopefully being added soon!

upgrade, adl73x and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Fairbanksan

Fairbanksan Active Member

Status Points:
    Has there been any movement on this issue? I find that I'm not visiting milepoint as much as I'd like, mostly because it's cumbersome to trudge through the forums I want to follow. I know about the RSS option, but something like a "my forums" page would be incredibly useful. What's the limitation in implementing this feature?

upgrade, jbcarioca and adl73x like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of us would like to know that. This issue is oft discussed as a missing ingredient. Please rush it if you can!

Gargoyle, upgrade and adl73x like this.
  8. +1 here. I just visited for the first time in weeks, primarily because I hate having to go to all the individual boards of interest to me. Would love to subscribe to particular boards and hit a "new posts" button, which shows only the new posts in the forums I'm subscribed to.

upgrade likes this.
  9. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    We don't have any new information on this yet. We will update when there is more info for certain.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  10. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the iPhone app, current/participated is a relevant and helpful menu combination.

adl73x likes this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! This will be a very welcome feature.

12. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I subscribe to a thread on FT (by posting there), I get an email every day that somebody posts to that same thread. That really works well for me, because of the daily reminders.

If I subscribe to a thread on MP (by posting here), I get an email if somebody posts to the thread. But, if I don't read the thread while logged in, I will never get a second reminder.

Is there a setting that I can use to get reminder emails, even if I don't check the thread?

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Count me among those wondering when this highly desirable feature is ever going to be added. I suspect I'm not the only member who has no use whatsoever for RSS. (Fine, I'm a dinosaur. But don't you want us saurians to be visiting the site directly instead of through the limited access/experience of an RSS feed?)

Twitter is likewise not an adequate solution. For one thing, why should I have to use an entirely different service to find out what's happening on MP? Also, I'm not just interested in new threads: sometimes all I want is a set of internal bookmarks, as squid indicated in his OP, so I can go quickly to a forum to see what's happening lately. Sometimes old uninteresting threads -- not new, and not on my watch list -- come back to life & are newly relevant. Sometimes I just want to go to a forum and search quickly for threads on a given topic.

I'm embarrassed to say that it wasn't until I'd been using TOBB for years and years that I realized it had this feature. These days, I find it utterly indispensable for navigating quickly around that site. The lack of this functionality on MP is noticeable, and I can't say how much I wish the requests in this thread would be taken a bit more seriously.

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any news on this? The workarounds are better than nothing but we really need the Forum subscription feature.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting- I am also interested in the follow up to this.

jbcarioca and upgrade like this.
  16. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    As am I.

jbcarioca and TRAVELSIG like this.
  17. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an FYI, this just came up in the Kiva master thread as we're losing track of subjects that are of importance to our lending efforts.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good misman to cross-reference here- hopefully this upgrade will be arriving shortly (if it is possible).

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure it is the #1 problem, but it is a big one. Really wish it could be addressed somehow.

jbcarioca, TRAVELSIG and SC Flier like this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed- not a problem however for sure #1 wish.

jbcarioca and SC Flier like this.
  22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how this plays into it but on the iPhone app I do see I am subscribed to both threads and forums. I just do not recall how I ended up doing that. It has been a long time since I updated any thread subscriptions so unsure where along the way the forums were subscribed to.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

23. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similarly, I see a "Forums" tab on the "Subscribed" view. It says, "You have no favorite forums. Browse to a forum and press Android Menu->Favorite." But there is no such option in the menus when navigating around a forum.

I do see "Watch This Forum" options on another Xenforo BB, so maybe this feature can come to MP soon. I've not registered with this other site in order to evaluate the actual functionality, though. Hopefully, it's not just an email and yet another alert.
    http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/american-touring-car-championship.60/watch-confirm

I tried adding "/watch-confirm" to the URL on a MP forum, but MP didn't seem to recognize it at all.

jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  24. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well for some reason I have a list of forums under the forum tab. As well as the list of threads under the thread tab.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)