Under Review Sub-forum dedicated to Photo threads

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by SirRagnar, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Esteemed MP'ers

Allow me to suggest that all the photo threads that are now residing in the Destination | Travel forum gets their own dedicated sub-forum.
    There are so many now that they have practically taken over the Destination | Travel forum. It is a shame because it limits the possibility to find interesting written guides about a non-specific destination.
    I must admit I have almost stopped browsing that forum now because the majority of the threads are picture threads, which are nice, but not what I am looking for in the Destination | Travel forum.

I also think the photo interested will prefer to have them all in one place (I know at least the most active of them stated so elsewhere on this forum).

Thanks for your kind consideration.

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree completely. Randy just addressed this, and indicated there likely won't be a change before Apr. 1; but I think it should move it higher on the agenda for the reasons that you bring up.

3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the support. I knew you would agree, it was you I referred to with the 'most active' photo poster :)

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I am sorry for the double-posting, but I had missed that thread.

MrsBobSgt and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was really surprised when I counted last night and realized there are already 102 photo threads. Not many forums even have that many threads yet, so as a stand-alone forum it would be one of the largest and most active.

The design of XenForo really makes it easy to "get visual", it's a real treat.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect everyone will agree with this one. I certainly do.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Not only will it clean up the destination thread, it will make it easier to find the photos. Now . . . about the eight zillion "Nile Guide" entries, not to mention the formatting thereof . . . ;)

hulagrrl210 and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Remember, "Nile Guide" isn't a human, it's a news feed. People try to engage it in conversation, and that doesn't work. :eek:

BTW, we're now up to 105 photo threads. We have about 140 forums and sub-forums on milepoint; If photos were a stand-alone, it would be one of the ten biggest in terms of thread count. And we all know, a high thread count is a sign of a 4-star hotel. :D

Freddie Listo likes this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sshhhh...don't tell teh box ;)
    btw, i totally agree with having a separate photo area

9. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    bolding mine . . .

Exactly. I'd prefer to see a news feed as a "feature", located elsewhere on the site and not interspersed with threads and discussions. :)

Chimpy likes this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    what exactly is the nile guide anyway? I actually responded to one of those posts. now i feel like an idiot...*delete*

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm talking thread count rather than post count. :)
    The UA/CO forum has 215 threads (discussions), I think it has the most of any forum. AA has 132, DL only 93, so DL has less than the photo threads. :eek:

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  12. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the pictorial threads would be better separated from the wordier reports.I am really enjoying though posting my pictures.This site is the easiest and quickest to do it on.My usual TR was a lot of words with a few pics.The proportions are rapidly changing.
    Personally I would not want a dedicated photography forum.I am a technological dinosaur.I use a Sony point and shoot-mainly because of the anti shake qualities-gets over my familiar tremor.Lighting,apertures whatever are double dutch to me.I just work on the principal of taking lots of photos hoping to get a few good ones.
    So maybe the Destinations forum could be split into a pictorial sub forum plus a descriptive sub forum.I still like reading the wordier posts and I feel it would be better to have them at least loosely associated.

MrsBobSgt and Gargoyle like this.
  13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Intriguing idea, it could work well, but I'm not sure how the forum/subforum structure would work. Anyone have any suggestions? Currently Destination Travel is spit in two parts,
    Destination | United States and Destination | The World. Would we just have one catchall photo thread under each of those, or would we put one under each subforum (i.e. split Asia into Asia/Discussion and Asia/Photos)?

There is currently a tiny bit of photography discussion by nature in the travel technology thread, but with a dedicated section it would generate much more discussion, so should Travel Technology split into two or three sub forums? (Photography, Phones and Communication, Computers and General Technology)

14. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps a photo thread (s) could be "pinned" as the first thread (or one of the first, as appropriate) to sub-forums divided into Countries or major islands of Hawaii. This way if one wants to get a quick idea of how others have "seen" the destination the user can ... and the other threads otherwise can be devoted to various modes of transportation, accommodations (hotels, b&b, apartments, condos etc), banking, award usage, sightseeing, etc.

Just another thought to add to the consultative process ...

15. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once the travel destination forum is further divided into different countries, e.g. Japan, Thailand, etc, the situation shouldn't be that bad.

16. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it still would! I think all these photo threads have made the destination travel section essentially useless for the people like me that want to discuss substantive topics. I'm giving up on these forums until a change is made, hopefully before April 1.

jbcarioca and SirRagnar like this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I understand your frustration, but it's easy to skim down the titles, see which are photos and which are discussions. You don't need throw out the baby with the bathwater, you can still enjoy those forums.

18. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not if they fill up virtually the entire first listing page. I don't know about everyone else, but I sure don't routinely go beyond that first page.

19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The Asia and Europe sections do lean that way, and perhaps the Other US section; it definitely needs some change, and I'm sure something will shift by April.

Which method do you prefer, a separate travel photography forum, or photo thread subforums within destination travel? Or perhaps you can come up with a different idea, I think Randy has made it clear that everything is open to consideration and he want's our input.

Travelman and jbcarioca like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea which works better. I like all the photos very much, but I totally agree with RichardinSF also. It seems logical to me that there would be a distinct photo section in each major subject area.

Gargoyle likes this.