Sub-$120 one-way transcons and a free RPU

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Sep 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    United is matching AA, VX, US and DL with sub-$120 one-way transcons for JFK-LAX/SFO. LOTS of inventory out there, including lots of flights with R inventory when I was looking earlier. And, if you're traveling before 31 October, I've got an RPU to spare which I'm giving away. Priority given to those with open R inventory on the flight they're booked on but all will be considered. Leave a comment here if the RPU might work for you.

2. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note: You can call UA and they will extend your RPU/GPUs until Dec 31, 2012. I did this with 4 GPUs.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I know that's an option. I'm choosing this option instead.

IDGflygirl, viguera, tommy777 and 3 others like this.
  4. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fares are the same out of DCA to LAX as well. I am finding most are midweek/Sat and before Oct 31 - on AA.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another thread recently said they won't extend RPUs. I have two that expire at the end of the month, so I'd be interested in that option.

My GPUs show a Dec 31 expiration date even though it should be earlier (end of November). I had planned to call in about those but it seems they may have already moved those.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The dates and timing you are finding are a very different fare than the one I'm talking about. The NYC fares are valid over a much broader schedule, pretty much every day and on at least 4 carriers.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love to have one - I'm booking now
    Nevermind - I see I posted in the wrong place and there's lots of competition over in your blog!

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    And I like it! So I'll see your RPU and throw in a GPU I won't use that expires by the end of this year. WA, feel free to pick a lucky winner.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait are you throwing this in for people here or people that comment on the blog or both? :)

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I assume this deal is dead now? I bought one RT last night (including red-eye on 787) and figured I might buy a couple more today, but the cheapest I see now is $320 RT. Not bad, but not quite the same.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the deal is dead. :(

But I'll still be giving away the RPU (and apparently now a GPU, too). Good odds of winning right now based on the comments.

Phorever, Flyer1976 and IDGflygirl like this.
  12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    For Seths blog. His contest, he's the judge and jury ;)

13. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Damn! I missed this deal.

I'm flying the wife out to Vegas RT in December.

If someone wants to throw an upgrade my way... I will:

Place a bet on roulette for you in multiples of the row th wife or I end up in.

Ex: row 3 on the plane? You get a wager placed on 3,6,9..... All the way to 36

Row 1? I'd say you have a good shot at winning ;)

RGhinder likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's almost worth just giving away an extra RPU. :D

Flyer1976, Phorever and IDGflygirl like this.
  15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually glad that I couldn't take advantage of that deal. With 120,000+ miles already booked and paid for this year, not counting my many award flights between SJO & BOG, I am getting kind of tired of flying around.

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait... so what happened to this? I thought the winner would be picked by noon EDT. :)

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The blog posts says the winner will be picked by noon EDT, but it didn't say when the lucky winner would be announced ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Turns out I'm a lying scumbag just trying to generate traffic for my blog. :p

Reality is that I'm still working on getting the winner picked. Because of the way upgrades work and needing to verify route, fare and inventory I've picked more than the minimum number of possible winners and I've notified them already, asking for PNR details so I can actually confirm that the upgrades will work. I've already had one which had to be disqualified (fare/route wouldn't work) so it is good to have more than just 2 itineraries to work with.

If you haven't received an email from me yet the chances of you being the winner are very slim. If you have received an email from me I'd highly recommend responding promptly.

desamo, mtbroxs, viguera and 2 others like this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the delay but, well, things don't always work out the way you'd think they will.

The two upgrades are now spoken for. The RPU was pretty easy and it went to a p.s. redeye. Should be some decent sleep there. The GPU was rather more difficult. A number of early "winners" were either on fares which didn't work (<W or X) or there was no award inventory on their flight. i finally made it through the list of random ordered comments and got to someone on a W fare with R inventory and the upgrade was issued today.

Decent odds that there will be more in the future. Good luck should that happen.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You should write a tool that automates that. People submit their unwanted R/GPUs, other people submit their PNRs and the tool finds the best match based on length of trip and upgrade availability -- WAmatch.com sadly is already taken :)

Flyer1976 and viguera like this.