Stupidest mistake you can make

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by viguera, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh I'm so disgusted with myself :)

I booked a Turkey Day stay in Delaware at a Staybridge Suites -- or at least I thought I did.

Turns out that instead of booking Thursday 11/24 for one night I booked Thursday 11/17 for one night.

Never occurred to me that I had the wrong dates even after getting a confirmation email. It was only when I checked my credit card charges -- the day after supposedly checking out -- that I realized what had happened.

I put in a call to the hotel manager to see what she can do but I'm pretty sure I'm SOL.

ceieoc, cennas, jmrich1432 and 5 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stupidest mistake? Is it worse than flying to Vegas, then - when trying to check in for your return flight - realize that it's booked for a month later?

(cost of that mistake: about $80 -- the price of a last minute one way ticket on US from LAS to SFO... still cheaper than the change fee on United for the original abandoned ticket).

Not that I'd ever admit to doing that... purely hypothetical scenario :D

ceieoc, cennas, hulagrrl210 and 10 others like this.
  3. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made a similar mistake in 2007... Booked an award travel using my Aeroplan miles from SIN to HKG on Y class for my hubby and me. And I chose the dates wrong... A month earlier than my scheduled vacation in Asia!

Anyhow, I only realize my mistake 2 weeks before my trip, when I was getting all my travel documents ready. Called the Aeroplan call center, and sheepishly admitted my mistake. I sensed that the lady was amused by me, coz I told her that I wasn't even in SIN to take that flight.

Anyhow, no Y tickets left, so hubby and I had to cough up 10k miles each to upgrade our award ticket from Y to J, and pay a $50 change fee, and there was no call center fee.

It turned out awesome, coz hubby and I loved our J flight! We have been hooked on premium travel since. ;)

So, OP... don't lose heart... You may just get a sympathetic hotel manager who really do understand that people sometimes make honest mistakes! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm always paranoid about that. Seriously, booking the right dates is more stressful than the cost.

cennas, mikeef, hulagrrl210 and 2 others like this.
  5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.:)

Sorry couldn't resist.

6. retirementdreams

retirementdreams Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or....Delaware. No one else has ever made that kind of mistake you know. Now...the important question: did you get credit for the stay??

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had forgotten about that trip until I recent went through my UA flight history dump to calculate my expected new lifetime mileage and discovered that odd US flight from Vegas ;)

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few months ago, I showed up at the airport.......and I was a day early.

I guess the look of surprise mixed with disgust at myself for such a stupid mistake worked in my favour.

"Mr Milchap, Do you want to fly today? Sure why not.....I have friends to visit in Ottawa. "

cennas, msv, SC Flier and 4 others like this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done that before! (not Vegas-related though) June...July, whatever ;)

cennas and viguera like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the funny thing... I keep looking at my IHG account to see if I get credit for it, figuring I wouldn't feel that bad if I did, even though it was a rather expensive no-show.

Still haven't heard back from the hotel manager, so I doubt she will be able to help.

11. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I generally have to work on Thanksgiving. Last year I was in Cincy with my boss at their Thanksgiving day race. The night before, my boss said "I can't seem to check in for my flight tomorrow." I said I would take a look... "Um, you booked your return on the 25th..." He went white, considering he had told his wife and two girls he would be home for Thanksgiving. Luckily we both called up UA and were able to re-reroute out of DAY to get him home. It has been a full year and I've yet to let it go, every time we are meeting up somewhere for work I feel the urge to make sure he has booked his flights on the correct dates.

Somewhat related I was in Houston two weekends ago and another colleague didn't realize he booked his return out of Hobby until the morning of the flight. (We were at the IAH Hampton...)

12. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't even tell you how many times I check and recheck my flights before pushing the send button. Doesn't stop me from checking afterward, either, although that always helps me keep track of schedule changes.

Having said that, there's really nothing funnier than when the FA says, "This is flight #XXX to Wherever City..." and the person next to me realizes they're on the wrong flight, gets a horrified look and runs off the plane. Doesn't happen as often these days, but every once in a while, somebody slips up.

Mike

viguera, TravelMusing and Scottrick like this.
  13. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Since I have been using tripit, I have caught two mistakes within the 24 hour window and was able to fix it.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh jeez, did it again!

Just checked my credit card statement and noticed an authorization for around $400 from Hertz. Huh? I am scheduled to pick up a Hertz car on Thursday -- why did they authorize something today? So I went back to the Hertz site, looked at the reservation, and it shows tomorrow's date. That would have been rather unpleasant if I had arrived Thursday morning without the car waiting. Easily fixable now, although the rate for the new reservation wasn't quite as good as before. Not sure how I screwed this up. I need a travel agent, I think :(

viguera likes this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I blame the date-picking calendars. Every time I've made a mistake is because I've used these evil things rather than type in the date myself.

Circling back, I was able to use some Sherlock (and Google) powers to find the manager's email address and sent her a nice email from my work address, and she replied this afternoon saying she will review it tomorrow and that "it should not be a problem" -- so there's hope for me yet.

I originally posted the thread in this section as it was related to my IHG stay, but I wonder just how many people have actually run into this problem. Hotels are cars are "easy" compared to flights though... :)

16. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an unfortunate error involving the International Date Line a few years back. Sure. I fly out on the 5th, get there the next day, then fly out on the connecting one. <Bzzzzzzt> wrong answer.

Since then I always buy 1 way tickets if it's the same price, so I don't lose the value of a RT (although cheap) ticket.

Scottrick likes this.
  17. retirementdreams

Status Points:

I originally posted the thread in this section as it was related to my IHG stay, but I wonder just how many people have actually run into this problem. Hotels are cars are "easy" compared to flights though... :)
    I can't wait to see you driving around in an "easy hotel". What kind of gas mileage do you get for that?? And do you get both Hertz points and ICH hotel points??

viguera likes this.
  18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course you know what I meant... :)

When you make this sort of mistake for a car or hotel you book you have a few days to correct it. And even if the hotel has a strict policy and the rate is non-refundable, chances are that you can talk your way into changing the reservation without having to pay.

But flights though... you book a flight for the wrong day and you catch it a week later and it completely sucks. :)

19. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Email CS on the missing points form on the website, I've had a couple no show charges in the past due to last minute schedule changes, and PC always gave me credit. If you paid for the room why shouldn't you get credit?

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it usually takes a ridiculous amount of time (sometimes up to a week) before stays show up for me on the IHG site, so I'll give it a couple of days and see what happens.

But on a bright note, I finally heard back from the hotel manager and she said it was an understandable mistake and although they couldn't refund the charges, she would make the reservation for the right day (tomorrow) and comp me for the night on the same room.

So overall it's all win on my end AFAIK and they keep a customer happy, so there's basically no downside. :)

21. retirementdreams

Status Points:
    Success!! Wonderful. No more driving around in easy hotels for you!!

22. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I nearly was a no show in Singapore. I had to cancel a month long vacation in Asia. Going though my flights, hotels and guides for Laos and Burma. Anyway the last two night before coming home were booked in the IC s'pore. They did not show up on my reservations list, so I thought I cancelled.

I phoned a couple days before the stay, as I could not find the cancelation email. Still had the reservation. And was able to cancel.

TravelMusing likes this.