Stupid, stupid, stupid. Recovering kids' Dividend Miles.

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by LarryInNYC, Sep 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stupidly (stupid, stupid, stupid me) allowed two accounts, belonging to my children to expire. Each account has 8,000 plus miles -- not life changing, but enough that I'd like to hang on to them.

Today I got a message from US Airways (not addressed to "Dear Stupid", although it might as well have been) "offering" me the miles back if I do one of the following things by November 29th:
    • Purchase and fly on US Airways and earn Dividend Miles**
    • Earn miles with our Dividend Miles partners like purchases through StoreFront or car rentals
    The reactivation fee is $50 for each account, which is more than I'd be comfortably paying for the miles. Making a flight with them is possible, but not likely -- there's only one long weekend in that period. And, obviously, the kids are not eligible for their own US Airways cards.

That leaves the "Earn miles" option, and I'm guessing the easiest way to do that would be through the US Airways online shopping portal. I notice that iTunes gift cards are available through their portal, both my kids have iDevices.

There's some fine print at the bottom of the email covering reinstatement through flying and credit card application, but it doesn't mention the Earn Miles option.

Has anyone used this method to get miles reinstated after the had technically expired? Is there a minimum purchase amount? Does any purchase through the US Airways Mall that generates miles qualify? Do gift card purchases through the mall generate miles? I assume I can use any credit card or debit card to check out at the mall; the owner of the payment method doesn't have to match the name on the frequent flier account? And is there any special action you need to take, or will reinstatement happen automatically?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even at one cent value per mile, it's worth $50 to save 8,000 miles, assuming that you'll really use these miles.

mirohacek likes this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would pay the $50...miles worth a lot more than that.

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:

These are my kids accounts, and they accrue slowly (we are only occasional US Airways fliers). I assume that I'll get a redeemable quantity of miles in their accounts eventually, but I'm not certain of that, and I don't know how long it will take or how much the miles might still be work when it happens.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    May want to grab some iTunes gift cards...worth a shot and especially since your kids use iDevices it wont really set you back any money and see if the miles get re-instated that way.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If US allows one way award tickets, 8000 miles should be close to a domestic flight. You could redeem a one way from each account for the same person to form a RT award ticket or use the miles when a one way is needed. Remember too that US might soon merge with AA, in which case the accounts would be combined with any AA miles they might have, and miles could be used for oneworld flights under the new program.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:

That is exactly what I intend to do with the miles. It might be two years, however, before I get the remaining 4,500 miles needed for a one-way economy redemption and a year or two after that before I have a trip on which the redemption would be useful.

8. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree. Do that...

Mike Reed likes this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Circling back to this thread, I made a small purchase through one of my daughter's Dividend Miles Shopping Mall accounts and her points were reinstated within a week (basically, as soon as the purchase posted to Dividend Miles) without any further intervention on my part. Yesterday I made a purchase for the other daughter, and I expect those miles to be reinstated as well.

I find that US Airways policy on this is quite generous -- you have three or four months after the miles expire to reinstate them with any account activity, including a small shopping mall purchase. (Their policy of expiring miles after 18 months of no activity is, on the other hand, not very generous).

mommypoints likes this.
  10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    And. . .

Made a purchase on the other daughter's Dividend Miles Shopping Mall account, and her miles were also reinstated. So, success.