Stupid Starwood Charges

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by slalom, Sep 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    .....just got dinged $7.50 for a "package handling fee" (my office sent an envelope to me via fedex). I've paid less for an autographed celebrity photograph than what they charged me to sign for my delivery! I found out about the charge after check-out....and I tipped the concierge $5 for bringing the envelope to my room!

I've been charged such a fee before at Hilton, but much less. In general, I haven't seen as many ridiculous charges at Starwood properties (with the exception of mini-bar prices!)...I'm just wondering what other crazy charges milepoint members have been subject to.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it frustrating that Westin charges for business center use while the equivalent computers and printer are free in Sheratons. Often the Westin business center is just a few pieces of equipment in the lobby too.

mo26 and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder when business hotels are beginning, well, be "business oriented", this means, free business center usage, free internet access and no fees for delivery of such FEDEX packages either. I mean many businesses bring "in" big business to hotels, it's a two way street, here the chains could fill a niche to serve their valued business guests better in the future, they may gain even more business from them or get recommended for being "business oriented", but this they should be in the first place.

sobore and mo26 like this.
  4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This baffles me also. Many of the SPG brands other than Sheraton have this ridiculous charge.....

uggboy and mo26 like this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Las Vegas is the worst for fees like this

6. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    My recent experience is in a W.

7. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but strangely enough, the W SoBe was free, go figure. (well, they did charge for nearly everything else)

8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton Anaheim once charged me $40 for handling my luggage(!) (and about $10 for another small package). Likewise, the charge was only disclosed later, after I tipped the bellman for bringing it up. I don't think they even disclosed it at checkout -- I think they waited until after I left the property and just charged my card. My luggage had arrived separately from me and been passed off to the hotel's business center. The hotel insisted that they couldn't remove the charge, but neither would they handle issues with it. I don't recall whether the hotel eventually reversed the charges or whether I successfully disputed them, but I did make the charge go away, after some effort.

mo26 likes this.
  9. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know Hilton Mid-Town Manhattan has a $3.50 per bag "storage fee" that must go to the staff Christmas party fund. They also have an automatic 15% gratuity on every F&B charge.

Most of these charges are just petty and annoying - really they should consider waving them for top tier guests. At the Hilton Manhattan I've trained the bar staff to expect a 20% tip if they take the 15% off.

uggboy likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could understand this for delivery to your room of a big heavy box or for storing something large, but a little FexEx envelope?

uggboy likes this.