Study: TSA scanners didn’t give travelers too much radiation

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Oct 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

A new report that found X-ray scanners previously used by the Transportation Security Administration didn’t overexpose travelers to radiation opens the door for the agency to bring back updated versions of the machines.

The so-called “backscatter” machines, which the TSA used at airport checkpoints from 2008 to 2013, exposed travelers to one-tenth the radiation limit set by the American National Standards Institute and Health Physics Society, according to the report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine made public Tuesday. When the machines were in use, lawmakers and travelers expressed concerns that the machines exposed travelers and TSA officers to too much radiation.

Read More:
    Dublin_rfk, anileze and ACMM like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

One government report states that any unnecessary exposure to radiation should be avoided. Like every other report out about government imposed limits, standards, and practices. It has been revised. This time down, next time up. During the time these machines were in use the government couldn't repeat the same lines as to if they were radiating or not and how much. So 1/10 the limit set by a government agency, as a frequent flyer I say if it's all so safe lets get one of these anonymous not to be named officials and have them walk through 30 to 100 times (about what a frequent flyer would receive).
    In full disclosure I personally will not voluntarily walk through one I prefer the comfort of a 'standing full body massage'.