Study: More U.S. hotels charging for Internet and gym facilities

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ACMM, Aug 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    marcwint55 and ACMM like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an era when so many people are obese or have other health issues, it seems to me that it would be in a hotel's best interest to encourage their guests to use the gym withour charge. The longer they live, the more the hotel stands to gain.

James K. and ACMM like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    By that same metric they should take the deep fryers out of the kitchens, right??

There's a difference between a long-term vision and an LONG-term vision. Pretending that actions today are going to materially affect the stay habits of some guests 30 years from now is probably a bit too great a stretch.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    that may be the case, but the hotel has little to lose in offering the gym for free as the equipment is usually replaced long before it falls apart, so the extra wear and tear is probably not a big factor. I personally don't know anyone who will pay to use a gym at a hotel, although I am sure that some people do. I think the good will accumulated by not charging is probably worth a lot more than any revenue generated.

6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the advantages of age is Silver Sneakers thru my insurance (and Medicare) Free Gym Access across the country. Although I have to leave the hotel, I can usually find a gym with Silver Sneakers Access and a full service gym. (Cardio, Machines, Free weights, and usually Swim, Sauna, and Steam.) and Classes if I so desire.

Show my card sign an insurance waiver, and proceed.

pnoeric likes this.