Study Finds Business Travel Linked to Obesity

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/144...l-heavy-travelers-obesity-business-travel.htm

According to a recent study by Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, those who travel for business two weeks or more per month have a higher body mass index, higher rates of obesity and poorer self-rated health than those who travel less often. The study released Friday by Andrew G. Rundel, DrPH and Catherine A. Richards, MPH, draws data from medical records of over 13,000 employees involved in a corporate wellness program provided by EHE International. A full breakdown of the findings can be found online in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.

Light travelers (those who traveled between one and six nights per month) actually scored the best on health measures, while employees who did not travel at all were 60% more likely than light travelers to rate their health as fair to poor and had a mean body mass index of 26.7 kg/m2. Researchers suggest that this statistic may reflect the fact that employees in poor health are less likely to travel.

The authors note that one probable cause of obesity in business travelers is the long hours spent sitting in automobiles. While air travel accounted for just 16% of business travel, driving personal automobiles accounted for 81%. The authors believe that extended time in an automobile often leads to poor food choices.

The report states, "Whether travel is by car or plane, it essentially represents increased sedentary time and represents reduced overall time for physical activity. In addition, overnight stays in hotels may interrupt exercise schedules."

jmrich1432, jbcarioca and gobluetwo like this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Other factor has to do with diet. Eating in an airport/hotel, fast food joint while driving, or out on client meals can easily result in consuming high calorie, high fat, and high salt foods fairly regularly. I would consider myself as one who falls into the light to moderate travel category (4-10 nights per month) and in good health, but I definitely do make compromises with diet while on the road. Also, agree with interruption of exercise schedules.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The study certainly rings true to me. Serious road warriors do have trouble managing normal disciplines for excercise and diet, not to mention sleep. Most I know are in godo health but are definietely not ectomorphs. A glance at those of us on the BRT this weekend suggests that the MP/FT crowd are mostly in that category. It is odd that many of us, incldung me, have almost no health problems despite a pear-like body shape.

To oddity is that the study seems to concentrate on extensive automobile travel as a major factor. That is an aspect about which I have little experience. Airplanes and trains is another story entirely...

4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's all that running through the airport to make my connection when my initial flight is delayed that keeps me fit! As long as DL keeps BARELY getting me to ATL on time I will get to continue my extensive cardio and low-calorie diet! :D

gobluetwo likes this.
  5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha! It's funny b/c it's true! I actually do find, though, that my recent (ie, last 7-8 months) of consistent(ish) working out does help when running through the terminal. Definitely came in handy a couple months ago at MUC when I mistakenly read the departures board wrong and went to gate 14 instead of 43 (or something like that). That was a LONG run to make it to my flight home. I hope I didn't stink up the J cabin too much with my sweaty self!

ducster and jmrich1432 like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm the embodiment of this article. I went from being a very slender healthy 32w at my old job to something much larger in pant size now that I travel for work much more often. Add all the leisure travel in there and it's not pretty. I blame AA's first class meals. Even the salads are fatty.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Look at me, I'm hideous:

[​IMG]

gobluetwo and DestinationDavid like this.