Student Mileage

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by AJCU, Jul 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. AJCU

AJCU New Member

Status Points:
    Hello!
    I want to first say thank you for making this website. I am a student in college, and love to travel. Though I am not a person to fly for status (because I don't really have the money, student budget!), I have to say that it is awesome. I got bumped up to LH First Class on my latest trip home from Europe, and it set a trend in my mind: "I want to do this for the rest of my life." With that said, I want to learn the ways that you guys earn miles, mainly so I can fly in the pointy end of the plane more! With this said, i would like your help in finding fares. I use the ITA software, and search blogs and forums in my spare time trying to find plane tickets anywhere. The way I look at it is simple: I will go where the ticket is cheap, and eventually, I will go everywhere in the world sooner than later!

So, my point is, without CC's and such, how do I get the most miles for the dollar? I can't fly during the week except when I have time off, and can't apply for CC's that get mileage, because, I am a student (although everyone in my family has United cards). I mainly fly Star Alliance because they are the only ones that fly to a small town in Poland where most of my family lives, although I have an AA account as well.

I will qualify for silver this year for sure, which is not much, but for the future (minus the minimum money expenditures for the future), I hope to be a part of the Million Miler schenanigans and such. So basically, the point of this post is to learn the tricks, especially from a student viewpoint, and see how I can keep my mileage growing so that I can fly for cheaper or more discounted rates! Anything helps, and thanks for reading! I am based out of DEN, CO....the land of more expensive tickets so it seems.

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

Some of the regulars may have better advice for your long-term goals. I do not use credit cards either, and I try to fly mainly on one or two airlines to maximize my mileage earning. Take your time, check out the forum, and read up on some of the old threads. There is a lot to learn here, and people are pretty helpful. I'm a FF in and out of London, so I'm familiar with the European flights. I stick to AA and BA, but depending on your specific circumstances another airline/alliance may be best for you.

Best of luck on your new mileage-earning goals!

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to Milepoint.
    Being a student does not preclude you from getting mileage cards, but the minimum spends on some may be a bit much for the budget.
    There are some cards where the first spend gets you the mileage bonus, and you may want to check those out.
    There are other sites that give you miles for taking surveys, although it does take a while to really accumulate much through those.
    Keep reading Milepoint and the many blog sights out there and you will learn lots of ways to maximize your travel.
    Best of Luck

MSYgirl and uggboy like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just want to mention I do these in my spare time for fun, and I accumulate 24,000 extra miles per year ($100 survey award=2,000 miles redeemable once per month). I only do them when I have time so it's not forced or tedious, and it's a nice bonus each year to my mileage.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the club! I'm a fellow student myself, and have found lots of excellent information here. Cheers!

marcwint55 likes this.