Stuck in line for customs? You're not alone

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...989/stuck-on-line-for-customs-youre-not-alone

[​IMG]

Martin Samuel, one of London's top sports writers, thought the world of Chicago when he visited last summer for the Ryder Cup. But after getting stuck in a customs line for two hours, his opinion of O'Hare International Airport was harsh.

“The people are friendly, the urban landscape quite beautiful. I want to implore you to go,” he told his nearly 2 million readers in the Daily Mail, Britain's second-largest newspaper. “But would I return? I'm not sure. I certainly wouldn't change planes there because I don't enjoy being treated like dirt.”

While most passengers are processed in less than an hour, customs delays of two or three hours or more are increasingly common at O'Hare, even though international passenger arrivals are down more than 8 percent from a 2007 peak of nearly 5 million. The problem is expected to get much worse next summer, when five new foreign carriers start serving O'Hare.

Customs delays are not new or unique to Chicago, but they are getting noticeably worse here. As a major hub for connecting flights, O'Hare will get tagged as an airport that foreign visitors should avoid if it can't move passengers efficiently, putting at risk the city's goal of increased international tourism.

Read More: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...989/stuck-on-line-for-customs-youre-not-alone

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that ORD is served by a multitude of international airlines, as well as being a hub for AA and UA, I don't know what else you'd expect. It sucks, but when you have that many people who need to be cleared, there are going to be delays. And good luck getting money to hire more CBP officers.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    global entry is the answer

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    But not for the London-based writer's readers, right?

LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not like ORD is uniquely bad. I've been stuck in multi-hour Immigration queues in LHR on far too many overnights. I often schedule an overnight in LHR to avoid an early-morning departure from wherever in Europe I happen to be; the downside is it may take me from 6PM until 11PM to clear Immigration and get to the airport hotel.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    (I notice that the title and text specifically refers to customs and am not sure if this is intentional or if the general immigration and customs queues are meant, the combination of which is often referred to as "the formalities," as in "We're scheduled to land at 2:30, so with 20 minutes for baggage and an hour for the formalities, we should be ready for pickup a little before 4.")

LETTERBOY likes this.