Stricter requirements for lounge access

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Desidivo, Aug 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same-day BP change is effective August 2016 and the price increase was announced in June of 2015.

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really, that certainly destroys the value of the UC membership even further (and not like it needed any further devaluing). :rolleyes:

flyforawg and mht_flyer like this.
  5. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the published benefits of having a lifetime membership is the ability to get a gate pass (for the member and two guests) even when not traveling. I wonder if they plan to re-write the lifetime membership rules or allow an exemption for the relative few of us that it would affect.

IDGflygirl and Gtitan like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:

I have a lifetime membership and I also am worried about this change. This is one of the reasons why i got lifetime membership. While I use the lounge about 20 times a year, I don't drink much and usually did not eat (the food was very bad, better now). Getting Gate passes was great to drop off/pickup family, friends and grandparents. I think my family and friends got more use of the lounge than I did.

8MiHi, IDGflygirl and Steve GadFly like this.
  11. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use United Club lounges >200 times per year....the overwhelming majority of times, I'm either flying in or out (hopefully they won't restrict access to having a 'departing' boarding pass) but I usually use the gate pass benefit a few times per year too.

8MiHi and rggale like this.
  12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not a lifetime membership benefit - that's a benefit of having a club membership, period. I'm not a lifetime member but have used that benefit many times over the years.

8MiHi and Steve GadFly like this.
  13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's always the refundable ticket option. ;)

14. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup....I got that benefit confused with the conference room one.

I see myself potentially using that in the future the few times per year that I would normally get a gate pass.

ssullivan likes this.
  15. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    @UA Insider clarified

ssullivan, Gtitan, 8MiHi and 4 others like this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting that clarification from UA Insider, which confirms what I had said earlier elsewhere, which was that this new lounge rule did make some sense and may even be a bona fide enhancement of the program for UC members...

8MiHi and Flyer1976 like this.
  17. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So basically, for those of us who use the UC's in the manner they were originally designed for (i.e. for someplace to stay prior to leaving or after arriving on a flight), there is absolutely no change in the system.

I do note that DL will not let me use their lounges using Priority Pass without a same day DL boarding pass. So some airlines do have more restrictive boarding pass rules on admission to their clubs.

ssullivan, 8MiHi and NYCUA1K like this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is absolutely correct, especially for airside lounges. My sense is that this new regulation may not even be enforced for non-airside lounges, if it was even going to be in the first place.

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've heard from various sources about the new rule change to the United Club lounges. The following just landed in my inbox. It is the official announcement of the upcoming change being discussed here. Click on the image below to get the complete story...
    upload_2015-8-18_11-56-58.png

Flying Machine and 8MiHi like this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect you will be proven correct for me. In 25 years of membership (PC before UC never RC) I have used a Gate Pass all of once.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In my two years of UC membership I tried to get a gate pass once and was rejected. When I contacted the UC service center via email, they "confirmed" that gate passes aren't available to UC members for the purpose of accessing the club. I know this was a bogus reply and I wouldn't put much faith into the consistent enforcement of the new rules as clarified by UA Insider. I am looking forward to many reports of people getting rejected no matter what UA Insider posted.

Needless to say, I am not a member anymore and it doesn't really impact me.

flyforawg likes this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airport lounges have a specific purpose. They are not social clubs. Anyone who wishes to access those lounges for their specific purpose would not be disappointed. I have not been a single time in many years. A very small minority will be rejected, but that is the nature of almost every rule -- some folks get left out.

ContinentalFan likes this.
  23. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used the gate pass option about 3-4 times in my 10+ years of membership. It has been nice on those few occasions, but it's not a great loss to me for it to go away. And, there are other ways to get a pass if one really needs/wants to do so when not actually flying.

24. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    United Airlines is utterly untrustworthy-this is further proof they will lie to even their best customers. Anyone who thinks you can rely on them to honor the miles you are earning or that they wouldn't just end their ff program can't be following the out and out rampage against customers that Mr. Smusek has engaged in: In the past few years this airline has gotten worse literally with each passing week. Through the miracles of no competition and collusion they can antagonize even high $$$$ pigeons. But as the wsj reported yesterday they may still be imperiled-when you become the most hated industry in America, a huge swath of Americans get sick at the thought of dealing with the airlines. With the ending of ff programs for most customers many are finding air travel an ordeal they can live without.

25. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question: Prior to the merger did UAL/Red Carpet allow gate passes for the sole purpose of using the lounge?