Strict Carry-On Enforcement

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Seacarl, Sep 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    On two flights this week (departing SEA and SNA) the gate agent was being extremely strict about carry-on size and quantity enforcement. Women who had a purse in addition to two items were forced to consolidate prior to boarding, and "thick" rollaboards were being measured or gate checked.

It looks like a company mandate on which GA's are being measured for compliance.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The purse thing is just silly as it delays boarding by forcing the bag to be opened and purse taken out before putting the bag into the bin. Next step will be to make everyone empty their pockets into their carry on bag to walk past the podium onto the jetway.

N965VJ likes this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Purses do come in a wide variety of sizes. The official policy is one carry-on (e.g. rollaboard or duffel) and one personal item (purse, laptop bag, etc.) So I can see why they do it, though they could use discretion to overlook small purses.

N965VJ likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also seen people unpack and rearrange a lot, including taking jackets, hats, and reading material out of the carry on only to then block the aisle on the plane un-doing everything twenty feet from the GA.

jmrich1432 and N965VJ like this.
  5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see the point of what they are doing. If they are consistent enough people may actually get the message and change their behaviour on future flights. However, based on what I have seen over the years I think that is probably a dream on my behalf.

hulagrrl210, LETTERBOY and N965VJ like this.
  6. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my ex-girlfriends referred to her purse as The Feedbag because it was so big and full of stuff. :D

Seacarl likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, so I get to keep my camera bag in addition to the rollaboard and backpack (stuffed with electronic gear), yes?

As I understand it, the purse is meant to be the personal item, not an additional 2nd personal item. What they should have done is force-gate-checked one of the bags instead of offering to consolidate.

8. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    The thing that bothers me when this is done is that the sizers are not an actual reflection of the amount of room available in the overhead. I got into it with an AAgent at ORD. She insisted my bag would not fit in the 738 overheads, despite me explaining to her that I had already taken it on not 1, not 2 but 3 AA 738s over the weekend, and it fit on each and everyone of them. She would have none of it. So I took my laptop out as she barked to have someone check my bag. I said the same thing to the agent who came to tag. He asked me to put it in the sizer. It slid right in. (no laptop!). We waived me through. I heard her yelling at him as I raced, yes RACED down the jetway. Once on board, the laptop went back in the rollaboard, which fit ever so nicely into the bins that are larger than the sizers. I was kind of hoping she would come storming on to make me check it, but she didn't.

ctporter likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How could they? Different aircraft types have different overhead bin sizes. Just take a look at the tiny bins on United's 767s. Or the assorted regional jets, where you allowed to carry your legal-sized rollaboard to the little cart to have it put in that special luggage compartment on the plane where gate-delivered items go.

They should reflect the size that's documented as allowed by the airline's website. If the bins are bigger, you should still not expect to bring a larger bag onto the plane.

So in this example your bag fit both in the sizer and the bin and thus seemed to have been compliant with the published rules (or did it only fit into the sizer because you removed the laptop?).

10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually glad to see some enforcement of the rules. I've some ridiculously large bags recently, some of which had to be gate checked because they wouldn't fit in the bins. I've also seen a few people bring two large bags (suitcase and a backpack) on board and put both of them in the bins even though supposedly one is supposed to go under the seat. I think competition for bin space contributes to the gate lice phenomenon which is another personal annoyance of mine. I think the rules are fairly generous and not hard to follow, at least I've never had a problem with them.

11. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gosh, you know, they could make checking bags easier. Say, at check in? And, you might even make it free. And, put extra effort in delivering checked bags on-time. Wouldn't that save everyone (you, me, FA, GA, your auntie mary) time and grief?

And, then, can we PLEASE depart on-time?

12. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wait until you guys start getting the (generally well enforced) 7kg limit like we get here too.... :p

13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see more and more airlines doing this.

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Alaska does have the most generous carry on policy in the industry... compare Alaska's permitted carryon size with other carriers (24" vs 22").. If Alaska says it's too big, then it's too darned big ;)

15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow 24". Huge!!! :)

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  17. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Purses should not be a 3rd item, they are one of your options for a second carry-on. The only exception should be for food purchased at the airport and carried on to eat in the plane. If only there was a way to practically enforce the one item up and the second under the seat in front of you for all but bulkhead rows.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There may be a case for several kinds of "3rd items," but in all cases they
    shouldn't be very big. Medicine bags, food and bev for immediate consumption
    as you say, assistive devices, hats and coats, maybe umbrellas. Duty free if
    it fits under the seat ahead. Purses of course are the quintessential 2nd item.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Disagree. First of all it won't end up under the seat in most cases. Second, why should it matter to your fellow passengers that you're in competition for overhead space with where you bought the stuff? Some duty free places sell luggage -- can I buy a(nother) rollaboard and bring it on as a 3rd item then?

(I realize that on many (all?) international flights out of the US duty free purchases are handed to people after they have passed the GA and are about to enter the jetway... too late to count the bag)