Strategy for Maui C&P

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by miketown, Dec 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it just me or is it extremely difficult to find Cash & Points options for the Westin or Sheraton on Maui?

I'm looking for next Oct/Nov/Dec. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villas. I just found points and cash available. We stayed there last year and it was a very nice property with excellent service.

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides hotels, Mrs & I have been renting condos when going to HI and have found our $ goes a lot further than hotels. We save our hotel points for expensive areas of the world where there aren't many lodging options to chose from. Sites like www.vrbo.com Seeing as you have the option to go in non-high season, you should be able to cut quite a deal with an owner.

avflyer and thepointstraveler like this.
  4. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 sweet willie. I think condos are the way to go in Maui. Most hotels where you can redeem points are in Kaanapali and you will spend an arm and a leg on dining out up there. We like to stay in Kihei where condo rates are very affordable, enough so that we usually stay at an oceanfront condo. The dining options are also more varied and cheaper in Kihei as well. Plus with a condo you can at least do breakfast in the condo saving yourself a good chunk of money.

5. nelsoji
    Original Member

nelsoji Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I am not a "sophisticated" traveler by any means - I do appreciate ocean-front hotels and the Westin Kanaapali (sp?) was by far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. Wife and I LOVED that hotel - lots of nice pool areas, and the beach was incredible. Just my two cents

6. singtx
    Original Member

singtx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whenever I am unable to find C&P...I call the Plat line and request them to ask the hotel for me...has worked several times...Hawaii, Amsterdam, other various hotels in Europe....I always send an e-mail or give a plat cert to the SPG employees whenever this happens....never hurts to ask!

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also set up an alert (several really) using my SPG C&P search tool. No guarantees they show up but it could happen.

singtx likes this.
  8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't like SCREAMING children DO NOT stay at the Villas. This is an excellent property for families and they go there in droves. I can't say the Westin or the Sheraton are much better for that, but at least the pools are somewhat out of earshot of the rooms.

9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love the condos at Kapalua.......ahhhhhh...silence.....

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    wasn't a problem when we were there, but I can imagine at some times it might be a problem.

11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had a room facing the pool. If I hear the words "MARCO" "POLO" one more time, I'm goin' postal.

marcwint55 and Mike Reed like this.