Strategy for march 2014 stay- need advice

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by curtis1120, Feb 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. curtis1120

curtis1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive been saving for a trip in march 11-14, 2014. This week I saw the rates at the hotel are going from 40k to 50k. Since I know my dates I'd love to book now with the old rates but it appears they aren't releasing dates that far in advance. It looks like rooms are released about 330 days out. So on march 28,2013 I doubt it will show bookable rooms. I do not have date flexibility as I have kids in school. Could I book for the latest date possible and call the hotel to get it switched a few weeks later? Will they mAke me rebook at the higher rate? I don't want to forfeit the chance to use these points at current rates, but I've had my eye on this trip for a while. Thanks in advance.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the rooms are not bookable before March 28th you really have no option but to wait until they become available and the points required will be the amount in force at that time. Perhaps a call to HH may find later inventory which you can book now.

No you will normally not get away with booking an available award at the lower rate and then calling in to change dates after the points rquired to stay at that property has gone up.

However at the last point increase for hotels I was able to do something similar ( both at the Hilton Diagonal al Mar and Hilton Paddington) but my new reservations became non-cancellable in other words if I did not stay at the hotels I lost all the points. Bearing in mind that in my instance the hotel catagory did not change just the points required for that specific catagory.
    In your case the reward catagory will have changed (for the later stay) complicating the issuance of a new award to the hotel.

MyTravels likes this.
  3. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award stays are cancelable, so worst case you can cancel and keep your points. In my experience, most hotels are flexible about changing the dates on a reservation. You might call the hotel now, speak to a duty manager or guest relations manager, and explain that you'd like to make an award booking now for a stay in March 2014, and would it be alright to book for the latest bookable dates and the hotel can shift to the desired dates later. I've done this before and the person has agreed (but of course no guarantees for your hotel).