Strategies for hotel deals 2 months out

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by keepinitsimple, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am planning a trip with stays hotel stays in Hong Kong (5 nights), Paris (5 nights), Zurich (1 night), Istanbul (1 night) and the US (Las Vegas/DC/Orlando). New to the personal bug, and it would be great to learn about the strategies to get the best possible deal. So far all my travels were on company dime.

We are travelling as a couple, and would like rooms with breakfast. Other than that, not fussy about the rooms and internet.

I am SPG gold and have slightly less than 10k starpoints. I think I have a|club gold status thru some promotion. Around 1200 a|club points.

As for airline programs, I have star alliance gold (via Krisflyer) and would have access to lounges hopefully.

Some of the possibilites I have learnt so far:
    1.) SPG 50% off rack rate for (>=5 night) stays using 1000 starpoints
    2.) F&F rate for Inter continental
    3.) Directly emailing the hotel manager. Not guaranteed to work

Or should I use priceline for these cities?

2. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use priceline a lot in the U.S. I've used them in Orlando and gotten great deals. I haven't used them in Europe but plan to this spring. If you go to betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com you can see what prices people have won with.

3. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really like www.hrs.com in Europe, it's transparent and all taxes are included from the start. I have yet to have a problem with any hotels I booked through them. I also like the SPG cash and points option when you don't have enough points for room nights. I might also suggest foregoing the hotel breakfast in places like Paris and Zurich where there are many cafes serving breakfast with a local flair as opposed to the more standard (with some exceptions) hotel buffet.

moa999 likes this.
  4. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    @slice19 - Thanks. Regarding breakfast in Paris, that was something that crossed my mind.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotwire is sometimes easy to decode and figure out where you'll be staying depending on how many options it gives you and how much information you have about each property. If they have a TripAdvisor rating, that's a big help. I've used it every time I go to Europe (admittedly not as often as some people around here) and can usually get an extra $20-40 or so off the best daily rate I find elsewhere. The latest is the Crowne Plaza Republique in Paris for $170 (was $195 on Priceline and $210-240 on other sites).

tommy2tone and moa999 like this.
  6. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SPG has a 50% off rack rate cert for 5 nights or more. COsts 1000 points. That might bring down the cost of the Sheraton to 160$/night without breakfast.

moa999 likes this.
  7. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    couple of others...
    www.lastminute.com / www.wotif.com -- bookings in the last month
    if you work for a big enough company can you take advantage of their rates on personal travel (depends on the agreement)
    and if your SPG -- search around for BRG opportunities

8. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and keepinitsimple like this.
  9. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    @RicGarrido
    Thanks. You are right...

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Margaret
    Original Member

Margaret Silver Member

Status Points:
    A website that often has great bargains is booking.com. They have buy i get one free on many hotels as they buy big in bulk. I am going to LV for eight days in June and i'm paying $172 total for a good hotel where I've stayed previously.
    Margaret

Kalboz likes this.
  11. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Active Member

Status Points:
    Decoding Hotwire: http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/hotelinventory/

But I have to say, I haven't seen that many great deals on Hotwire lately. Maybe $10 savings per night, which to me, is not worth the risk. I'm looking for more substantial savings if I'm gonna take a chance on an unknown hotel, even with the aid of sites like those mentioned in this thread.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I've had better luck lately just waiting for sales and promotions.

tommy2tone likes this.