Strangest connection ever

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by horseguy, Sep 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our strangest connection ever happened today. We were connecting through DFW today, and our outgoing flight was delayed. When our flight landed, I turned on my cell phone and had a message from Concierge Key saying that our outgoing flight was delayed by almost two hours, and they had doubled booked us to an earlier flight if we wanted it. OK, extremely cool so far. So, since the connection time for the new flight would be short, I thought a CK agent might meet us at the gate.

But nope, only the standard person telling people connecting gates.

But wait, as my wife and I walk past, I notice she has clipped to her phone two boarding passes with my wife's and my name on them. So, I stopped, and asked "I noticed the boarding passes you are holding have my wife's and my name on them. Are those for the 5pm flight?" She asked "What are you talking about?" So I explained the CK call about the delayed flight and protection, and she walked over to a terminal and punched away for a bit, and asked, "Did CK know you have checked bags?" I replied "I have no idea. Would the bags still be on the later flight?" She said yes they would and we would have to travel back to the airport to pick them up. So, after some conversion, we told her we would just chill in the Admiral's club until our schedule flight. Weird thing #1, she was holding boarding passes for me and my wife but knew nothing about us? Huh? How is that even possible?

Weird thing #2: through the whole conversation, she seemed mystified as to why we had stopped to ask her all this. When I pressed the issue, she claimed the boarding passes for us that she was holding were for our already scheduled flight (which we already had boarding passes for) and she would not let me see the entire boarding pass. I would have thought that they were for the earlier flight (which is the only thing that makes a lick of sense to me). But why wouldn't she even let me see a boarding pass with my freaking name on it? Wow, this point pisses me off just thinking about it.

Weird thing #3: about 30 minutes later, I got a phone call in the Admiral's club from someone at AA who seemed extremely pissed at me for being double booked. I explained about how the CK desk had done that and we had already told an AA employee which of the two flights we wanted. That seemed to calm her down some, but it still seemed to me that she was still peeved at me, just calmed down by 80% or so.

I am not mad at AA or expect any compensation. And I realize that when you try to get tens of thousands of people trying to work together, some strange stuff happens.

But, wow, what a weird weird connection. If no one at AA had tried to do anything, and we had just been delayed three hours, that would have been much more relaxing. I was worried that our boarding passes wouldn't work (they did in point of fact).

All this said, in several years of having CK status, this is the only time they actually made things worse than doing nothing. So, on balance, they are way ahead of the game.

YULtide, rwoman and NYBanker like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is odd. Glad it worked out.

rwoman and horseguy like this.
  3. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well- you're the last person they should be peeved at even if there was miscommunication! Its not like we have the ability to double book ourselves

rwoman and horseguy like this.
  4. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. I am also glad that apparently I am getting a thicker skin as I get older. When I was younger, having a company representative get furious at me for something I had not done would have bothered me for weeks. Whatever part of my brain that caused that reaction appears to have withered away with age. My entire reaction this time was, at least compared to the way I used to react, quite calm. There are some benefits to getting older!

YULtide and rwoman like this.
  5. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be nice though to be able to "protect" yourself on the next flight??? Just sayin'! lol and amen on your comments!

6. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    The interesting thing to me is that even as an Exec Plat the days of double booking during irregular ops are over, yet CK seemed to be fine with doing it on their own. At the same time that the right hand was double booking you the left hand was enforcing the new rules which are that double booking even during irregular ops is a no no. My guess is if you hadn't been CK they would have cancelled you out on both as opposed to reaching out to you. Looks like you had a CK agent who was being a little to proactive.

7. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    The interesting thing to me is that even as an Exec Plat the days of double booking during irregular ops are over, yet CK seemed to be fine with doing it on their own. At the same time that the right hand was double booking you the left hand was enforcing the new rules which are that double booking even during irregular ops is a no no. My guess is if you hadn't been CK they would have cancelled you out on both as opposed to reaching out to you. Looks like you had a CK agent who was being a little to proactive.