Strange Upgrade?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by malikguy, Nov 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just landed in MIA from PTY today (connecting to DFW) and the wife and I experienced something odd at the gate in PTY. We had upgrades requested and were both on the same PNR but only one request came through and it was for me. I did decline because I did not want to be separated from my wife but I thought the policy was that two seats would have to be available at the same time for the upgrade to go through in the first place. Secondly, the gate attendant insisted that I would not be charged the stickers since I did not actually fly the seat but the ticket had already been printed and she had to switch me back. Should I be OK?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    don't know about the stickers, and I understand u turning it down but sometimes
    1 ug is better than no ug :)

Kalboz and malikguy like this.
  3. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    At anytime did you split your reservation at any time during your trip? This could cause an upgrade to go through separately. This has happened to me in the past.

Kalboz and malikguy like this.
  4. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, never split. I requested the upgrade online and unless an agent changed something on the PNR when I called in about it at one point or another, it shouldn't have been split. I did ask about the stickers and they did not get used. Thanks for the responses!

Kalboz likes this.
  5. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    After declining, I was thinking the same thing. With that in mind, would I have been allowed to swap seats between first and coach with my wife mid-flight? Do you know if the FA's would've given us a hard time about it?

Kalboz likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    been like dude ... she's my wifey. My Black Friday present was half a F class flight. why you gotta be nosey.

:)

malikguy likes this.
  7. 78280z

78280z Active Member

Status Points:
    If only 1 upgrade available then they offer to first on list, then the other does not get upgrade.
    You can not switch classes between flights, they might let kids switch but not usually.

8. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL

edekba likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can switch before take off without much issue usually. Best to tell the FAs what you're doing. But switching mid-flight? That's a no no.

estnet and malikguy like this.
  10. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thanks David!