strange UDU situation?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bta, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying home after a leisure trip where I booked a few months ago using e-certs for most of the cost. On both upgradable legs, my upgrade status never changed from Pending. I'm a 1K, FWIW.

The outbound flight was a 319, so not totally surprised it didn't clear, but still, at 100 hours, it should have changed to Waitlisted. The return, a 757, remained at pending, although I cleared at the gate. I asked at the RCC what might be the deal, but I didn't get a very useful response. I asked the person sitting next to me when her upgrade cleared, and she told me "a few days ago", which makes sense for a 1P.

Any idea what might be going on? I have a flight next week that cleared right at the 100 hour window, so it just seems to be an anomaly with this one particular itinerary.

2. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's called "Pending Purgatory," and it's a bug that pops up every now and then. One theory is that it's related to upgrades not being requested properly after schedule changes. Did you book this a while ago?

If you call and have them un-request and then re-request the upgrade, it should behave normally.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  3. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:
    a ha. Thanks for the tip.

I did call prior to my outbound flight, but was just told, "your outbound doesn't look good, but the return should be fine" That is ultimately how it happened, but I didn't need an agent to tell me that information. I didn't know to ask about re-requesting the upgrade, and the agent didn't know that either.