Strange S* Award Issue - Can't combine coach/biz on TG segments

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SFOPeter, Nov 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I and my GF are flying SFO-ICN-REP-(Ground)-PNH-BKK-DPS-ICN-SFO on a United Biz award ticket. The PNH-BKK-DPS legs are on TG and are currently in coach. BKK-DPS opened up 2 seats in biz, so I called to upgrade. The 1K agent said that I could only do it if both legs were available as it is a paired segment. She even checked with a supervisor. I have never heard of this before and have done it before with UA metal legs. What do you guys think? Planning to call back in a bit. :) SFOPeter

2. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about the rules in your case. I have award tickets for next summer. It's a mix of International and domestic flights, and on the domestic routes I have to fly in coach because there is no business class on a specific route. Maybe that's why I didn't get any trouble mixing classes, or maybe it's because it's not on TG.

At any rate, if you've done it before, then call back. And if necessary, a third time or even a fourth and a fifth. . . unless someone can confirm that you can't get those tickets.

3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that sounds reasonable. Perhaps they were confused with what you were asking...because you used the word "upgrade"?
    Simply say "I paid for business class already for the whole trip. Two seats opened up now; please change the reservation". Maybe this is what you said......
    I had a similar problem with a recent award request (unable to mix classes with TG flights involved). I changed my flight plans as I did not want to bang my head on a wall constantly.

Newscience and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call back and tell them that you are on a Business Class Reward and that I inventory opened up on these flights.

skyvan and snod08 like this.
  5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're probably getting an issue if TG markets the flight as a direct flight, even though you're viewing it as two segments. In these cases, you'll need the same availability (and sometimes even seat #'s) on each segment to get into C.

theBOAT

6. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's TG 431 connecting to TG 581 22 hours later.

I did say that I have a biz award and that the inventory opened up on TG 581, but then they say that they have to upgrade both segments or neither, and even apologized as they thought it was strange too. Very odd!

snod08 likes this.
  7. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just called back during regular business hours and they were able to force the segment into busines! All set. L)

Flyer1976 and snod08 like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Enjoy your trip! :)

SFOPeter likes this.