Strange MQM calculations

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Sep 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm reviewing an upcoming itin and the MQM calculations are strange. All segments are on partner airlines (KL, AZ and their regional subsidiaries).

Printing the itinerary from Delta.com gives the following as "miles flown". They don't jibe with MQM's
    ORD-AMS 4106
    AMS-PSA 649
    PSA-FCO 160
    FCO-ORD 4807

If I add those with the minimum 500 for the PSA-FCO segment (which I rec'd for the same segment last month) I get 10062.

I did a screen cap of the booking page right before I confirmed the purchase, it shows MQM's earned=9443, a difference of 619 mqm's.

Also note, I've flown the same FCO-ORD segment twice this year and it yields 4823, not 4807

Is this just another case of Delta.com being goofy, or is there some new "enhancement" in how they're calculating MQM's earned on partners?

FetePerfection and Newscience like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the 500 mile minimum per segment applies to partner flights. IIRC I've received less than 500 for certain AF flights.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I did receive 500 for that same segment on the same carrier twice this year- AZ Cityliner.
    However, even if it is counted as 160 mqm, the numbers don't match what they showed at the ticketing phase.

It seems the AMS-PSA segment might be operated by Transavia. Transavia is wholly owned by KL; AF is transferring pilots and flights from mainline to Transavia, which is part of the issue triggering AF strikes this month.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Transavia isn't a SkyTeam member. Unless it was booked as a DL codeshare, it shouldn't earn any miles.

There's a thread on FT expressing concern about the KLM/AF switch to Transavia flights and the consequences for earning DL MQMs and RDMs.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No luck; I checked my flights on the Delta mobile website and it listed the AMS-PSA flight as being operated by KL, not Transavia. However, it actually was operated by Transavia. I submitted a screen capture to prove that DL was publishing that flight as being operated by a Skyteam partner, but that doesn't matter to them.

My feeling is, if they market it as a partner flight it shouldn't matter who actually operates the flight- they should give credit. They don't agree. It's their bat and ball, so they set the rules and can change the rules whenever they want. It's unfortunate, because as a customer I have to trust what I read on their website when I buy a ticket or check my itinerary.

It's a small amount of MQM's, but it a big amount of principal.

frequentflyer and redtailshark like this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are an experienced DL flyer/user/victim of SM. So, really, what do you expect? For years now, DL has changed their "rules" to suit themselves and the level of corporate contradiction continues to rise. Refer to the massive volumes of complaints and extensive evidence on FT that documents all sorts of shena; from reneging on MQM to failed GUC reissues to targeted higher fares for logged in Medallions to eviction of DM's from long-held EC to actual upgrade shena. Is it really worth the ever-increasing amounts of effort to yield potentially marginal backtrack on the enormously varied and prevalent DL shena? The corporation is mendacious, allowing agents to make up any story they like, secure in the knowledge there is no comeback, perhaps tacit congratulation from the customer-hostile management or maybe even open partying in the VirgAv basement after daily ops close shift....

The only thing that DL publishes that are reliable are actual sold fares originating in the US and only then because they are compelled to honor them and because the DoT has made it clear that it will tackle renegers.

Also, have you observed over the last few years the way in which all useful program features discussed on social media are systematically closed down by Jeff Robbo and his social-media trawling cohorts?

This song needs a new take.... Hey, I'm Jeff Robbo.... take a ton, give a little bit...of our shena back... give a little bit of our shena...back, to you! You want to know, what happened to your stop-overs....well, now, take a ton, give a little bit, of shena...back to you! Etc. Muahahaha!

It IS even now still possible to obtain more value from DL SM than the managers would like. But it's quite difficult and there's just no way it's worth sharing those tips on public platforms...even for those who aren't banned by censorious Leprechauns masquerading as mods :) At this point, the DL FT board, and social media sites are nothing more than an unknowing informant's lair.

Now I'm not saying that OAL's don't perpetrate shena of various types. They do. But the scope and scale of DL obfuscation, trickery, denial and outright shena is astonishing. It can only be described one way. One way.

And you - all of you - know very well what that is....