Strange mileage crediting behaviour

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Saracen, May 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently flew two UA segments Asia to US, followed by an internal segment the following day. I had my OZ (Gold) number in the booking, and flew the first to segments that way. Since they would have tipped me over my Gold renewal, I decided to credit the internal segment to my other program (SQ), so switched the number at the gate. I logged into both my accounts today and see that the miles for all three flights have been credited to SQ. How did that happen? I can only guess there is some sort of delay between flying and the miles getting transferred, and rather than transfer to the FFP indicated for the segment, they just send to the FFP in the booking at the time of credit?

I wasn't expecting this, but at least I still have my returns to credit. Any ideas what I could have done if this wasn't the case? I had always assumed it's the program on the BP that is where credit is sent.

2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had this happen, too, if the first bit is still in limbo. I think it's whatever is in the record for that booking number at the time the flight goes to post -- so I'm not sure there's anything you could have done.

Saracen likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding of the current system (and it changes from time to time) is that each "direction" of a trip remains open until it is completed. Changes made to the FF# during that "section" of travel will apply to all the flights in that chunk, not just the individual segments.

Flyer1976, Saracen and snod08 like this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this seems to be the case in the current time period. My wife had something like this happen a few weeks ago.

Saracen likes this.
  5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that seems to be what happened here. But curious how they decide which flights are part of each direction in more complex cases like multi-stop trips.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can think of a few possible ways, be it fare construction, stopover points or black magic voodoo. Not entirely sure which they actually use. ;)

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]