Strange..iPhone app Won't Show Standby List After Checkin

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Art234, Sep 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I checked in for Today's flights using the mobile web site yesterday aftermoon. Although check in was unsuccessful I was unable to email myself the e-boarding passes at that time.

This morning I went to check the status and upgrade list via iPad/iPhone app and the standby and cleared lists are blocked out....I do show checked in and was able to re-issue the electronic boarding passes early this morning but it seems unusual not to be able to check the standby or upgrade lists from the app.

Any thoughts?

2. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was having the same problem with the Android app yesterday. Checked in successful but only the seat map was available. Have to wait until Monday for my next flight to see if it has been addressed.

3. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never been able to pull them up on the UA app, on the CO app I have been. Which one are you using ?

4. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed this problem as well just the last few days. Only with UA flights, not with CO flights--the standby list and particularly the upgrade list does not show until around an hour and a half before departure--whereas it used to show right after checkin.

5. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    JP I was using the United app on my iPad.

6. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the android app on my Samsung and the iPad app. Both seem to be having a problem lately. They upgraded the United App recently to allow people to see Standby and Upgrade. As demkr stated, for a while you could see the lists immediately after checkin. On Thursday the option was blocked right up to doors closed.

7. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my Android devices I see the same behaviour you have seen with the UA app. Whereas the CO app is able to pull up that information (for CO flights). Do note I use my MileagePlus account with the UA app and my OnePass account with the CO app.

My guess is a lot of the back-end data-services from the UA side still need to come together, whereas they already existed on the CO side. Plus there could also be differences between the iPhone/iPad and Android apps.

8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The outbound portion of the trip worked perfectly. It is strange..must have had a data issue toward the end of the week.

9. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup...I was able to use the app this weekend without any hiccups. Whatever the problem was, looks like they have it figured out! Back to aimlessly checking the upgrade list every 10 minutes hoping for a miracle!

10. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I narrowed down the problem on my flights through SFO this past week...

With UA flights it appears the upgrade list and everything else beyond the seat map is only made available once control of the flight is transferred to the gate. When flying out of MCO Friday morning to SFO, the list(s) became available an hour or so before departure. This was also the case for my connecting flight to SAN - an hour before departure give or take a few minutes.

chrislacey likes this.
  11. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed in the past that I sometime get something similar if I click the flight status button that is next to the flight I am checked in for (no standby/upgrade list), though I get the expected behavior if I go to the flight status tab and search for the flight.

12. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that the standby lists are becoming available about 1 hour, 25 mins before the flight. (Before it was 24 hours before).

13. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight tomorrow with a check-in tonight around 7:00. I'll keep track of timing and availability of the lists to see if its consistent with what demkr and ryan are seeing.

14. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am now getting the same behavior described by the OP when I am trying to see how I fair on the upgrade list for my flight today. No standbys/upgrades showing in the UA app

15. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Adambadam, you should see the standby list at *exactly* 1 hour and 25 minutes before the flight. Not sure if this is intentional on United's part or not--but it's really annoying for it not to show at T-24 like it did when the app for UA flights first came out.

chrislacey likes this.
  16. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just an update - as of today, the standby list is back to showing at T-24 as normal

17. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am having this issue quite often... For instance, I can't view the standby/upgrade list for EZE-IAD on the UA app today.

A couple other examples for today.

UA574 SFO-IAD at 1038am
    UA951 LAX-IAD at 751am
    UA416 LAX-JFK at 1153am

Really annoying...

18. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to be random. On a PHX-LAX-ORD-PVD-IAD-DEN-PHX run a few weeks ago, some flight would show all the info, others wouldn't show up until right when the door was closing.