Strange boarding experience....at least I haven't seen it before

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. 744 was returning from SNA today travelling on an award ticket. She is a BMI *G. The award ticket came from my MileagePlus account so it has none of her FF info on the BP. She goes to board when they call *G, with her BMI card in hand. when she gets to the scanner/gate agent the gate agent said she couldnt board with the *G group with the BP she had even though my wife presented her BMI card. The Gate agent said she would have to change the BP to reflect star G, which her Gate agent partner wound up doing for my wife in 15 seconds so she could board. I've never had that happen to me when traveling on an award ticket. She's never had it happen either when I get the ticket for her as well. Is this normal, weird or new?

avflyer likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some agents are sticklers for the rules, I'd have just let her board with *G as long as I see the Card.

avflyer and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems like the GA was creating more work, thats for sure. I wonder if UA corporate keeps stats on things like boarding pass scan data to see who is being let on, and when, to see if their GA's are in compliance.

avflyer likes this.
  4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's the technical requirement all right. Whatever credentials are in the PNR are what rules your privileges on that flight. Mrs. AV used to try to game the system when she flew UA (she is an AC Super Elite). When she made her res, she would use her UAL number which gave her access to E+ seating, and then just prior to boarding, she would "discover" the mistake and ask to have the FF# changed to her AC number. By that time most GAs would just let her keep her seat. Some,however, would try to toss her back to regular economy. As usual the rules apply according to who you talk to.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to change FF numbers. UA's system can record one FF number for credit and another for status. Since awards book into classes that don't register for FF mileage accumulation, there should be no problem having a status-related FF number added to the UA mileage booking.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've had that happen. I guess its "MY" fault that I didnt give UA my wifes BD#....stoopid me....

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    On AA and DL, I've had no problem having business companions board with me when my zone is called, even if they're in a later boarding group and on separate PNRs.

I suspect this level of rule enforcement comes down to the pain-in-the-you-know-where factor the agent is trying to deliver on a given day.

For a while, when DL went to thermal paper for boarding passes, I was using my DL Skymiles Card or my Amex DL Credit Card to board the plane (I found I was losing the thermal ones in my pockets with other papers). The SM card and the Amex cards have bar codes which can be read by the gate scanners. Most agents had no idea this worked, and were amazed to see it authorize me to board.

Once when doing this, however, the agent questioned me and stopped boarding, closed the jetway door, walked me back over the to main podium for the gate and insisted on seeing my ID and printing me a new boarding card. All in, took two minutes. He was a real snoot about it - "What do you think you're doing?" etc. I stopped using that feature after that event. (I also wrote in to Delta, who assured me the agent was spoken to and was incorrect to halt boarding.)

As long as the scanner gives a green light, the agents should really just be trying to board as quickly as possible. Kicking out a queue-jumper is one thing...but someone with a *G card shouldn't be held up...

Lufthansa Flyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've encountered something similar as well. I'm *G through my status on US Airways, but I was flying UA on IAD-LAX a few months ago. I have an old US account number (7 digit mix of numbers and letters, as opposed to newer 11 digit number-only accounts) and any time I fly UA with my US number on the reservation, it only shows me as *A Silver on my BP. I attempted to board when *G was called, and had my preferred card in hand, but the GA would not let me on, saying "whatever is on your BP is what you are." So I had to wait off on the side until they started calling zones (with everyone else probably thinking "who's that jerk trying to jump the line!").

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    sounds like the GA enjoyed the power trip for a few minutes.....