Strange and Bizarre SkyTeam (DL, AF, ME) seat assignment glitch

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by jbcarioca, Jun 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For reasons too odd to explain, I booked a trip including a CDG-BEY business class leg. which was booked as an Air France codeshare on an MEA flight. Because the ticket was booked in the US, it is a 006 ticket (DL is the GSA for AF in the US).

So, all the seat assignments came out fine except the CDG-BEY leg. DL could not do it because they did not have access to the ME seat map. AF paris could not do it because they did not have access to the ME seat map. ME (!) could not do it because they don't have access to the AF inventory on that aircraft, although they could have for the same aircraft were I to have booked on the ME flight number. All three people trying to do these say they cannot understand it, (except for the ME rep and me, who accepted it as a supernatural manifestation of unique levantine mysteries).

All this is not important in the grand scene of things but it is surpassingly odd, is it not?

Garp74, NYBanker and iolaire like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried to assign a seat yourself online? Try the MEA website with their record locator, Saudia (which is surprisingly good for checking any flight if you know passenger name and ticket number, I used it recently for a MH flight), and checkmytrip.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried that first. The MEA website no longer supports self-assigned seats nor does it have seat maps. CheckMyTrip works for all Amadeus records so it is there, but that does not help with the seat assignment. The others I tried are AF, KL, DL all of which show the seats unassigned but none have a seat map. Calling them was my last resort. I do wish I had forgotten one of those...

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprising Disappointing that the operating carrier cannot do this.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somebody's gonna wind up a window seat next to the lavatory ... :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The eternal optimist in me thinks I will end out next to Mrs JBC in nice seats despite this weirdness.

Garp74 likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I would never trust DL seat assignments on partner flights to stick. Asking DL to do it should be a last resort IMO.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess you're also optimistic about strikes not preventing you from making the trip.

How are you surviving the World Cup?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today was the first game in Rio, Argentina v Bosnia, just over a few minutes ago Argentina 2- Bosnia 1. The city is full but running smoothly, believe it or not. I suspect ZI'll get out Tuesday without a strike for a day trip to ORD and by August to BEY I expect no problems. We shall see...

Gargoyle and MSPeconomist like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The skyteam "partner" computer systems are not integrated, and there are usually problems with seating on AF flights booked on 006 stock. Add a third carrier to the mix, and I'm not surprised at all about the problems. In fact, I'd be surprised if you did get a solid seat assignment prior to the gate.

You're coming to ORD? Are you coming over to see me? Hope so, drop me a note...

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may have a little time on Thursday morning before leaving. You have a Conversation.

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    A successful update:

I finally realised the easy solution was to get the ticket reissued to make that segment ME rather than a codeshare. It took only a few minutes to do so and I immediately had access to the ME seat map and made the seat assignments. Memo to self: when booking anything on ME, or other ST carriers for that matter, son't take codeshare when it is possible to book the flying carriers without problems. probably that is a good idea most of the time. The problem will come when either the codeshare is cheaper than the flying carrier or the availability of the flying carrier is less than that of the codeshare.

Anyway, those did not apply and I'm now a contented flyer!:)